Dr Demet Asli Caltekin
|Assistant Professor in the Durham Law School|
I joined Durham Law School in September 2022 as Assistant Professor in Criminal Law and Criminal Justice. I obtained my LLM in Human Rights and Humanitarian Law from the University of Essex, School of Law and my PhD from Durham University, Law School. Prior to joining Durham Law School, I was a Lecturer at Liverpool Hope University, School of Law (2021-2022), and at Ankara Yıldırım Beyazıt University, Law School, Turkey (2018-2021).
My research investigates theoretical, sociological, and empirical aspects of law by employing feminist and socio-legal methods. My doctorate research provides a socio-legal analysis of the right to conscientious objection in Turkey. It empirically investigates the experiences of antimilitarists with law, with a particular focus on the socio-cultural elements behind the non-recognition of the right to conscientious objection. Currently, I work on the socio-legal analysis of women’s human rights violations globally by focusing on intersectional discrimination and violence.
I welcome PhD applications in the area of socio-legal empirical studies.
- Centre for Criminal Law and Criminal Justice
- Law and Global Justice at Durham
- Gender and Law at Durham
- Critical Military Studies (Anti-militarism)
- Socio-legal Studies
- Gender and Criminal Law
- Freedom of Thought, Conscience and Religion
- Regional and International Human Rights Law
- Caltekin, D. A. (2022). Conscientious Objection in Turkey: A Socio-legal Analysis of the Right to Refuse Military Service. Edinburgh University Press
- Caltekin, D. A. (2022). Reinforcing gender stereotypes through legal Defence: the application of unjust provocation Defence in hate-motivated killings of LGBTQI in Turkey. Crime, Law and Social Change, 78(1), https://doi.org/10.1007/s10611-021-10014-x
- Caltekin, D. A. (2022). Women’s Organisations’ Role in (Re)Constructing the Narratives in Femicide Cases: Şule Çet’s Case. Laws, 11(1), https://doi.org/10.3390/laws11010012
- Çaltekin, D. A. (2021). Kadınlara Yönelik Her Türlü Şiddet ve Ayrımcılığı Hukukun Kesişen Adaletsizlikleri Üzerinden Okumak. İstanbul üniversitesi kadın araştırmaları dergisi, https://doi.org/10.26650/iukad.2021.879991
- Caltekin, D. A. (2020). Making sense of militarism through antimilitarists’ resistance strategies. Critical Military Studies, 8(2), https://doi.org/10.1080/23337486.2020.1809253
- Çaltekin, D. A. (2020). Challenging the ‘normal’: curious women conscientious objectors to military service in the male conscription system in Turkey. Critical Military Studies, 8(3), https://doi.org/10.1080/23337486.2020.1815384