|Assistant Professor in the Department of Computer Science||MCS 2109|
The main theme of my research is security engineering and practical cryptography. I research physical security, web security and trustworthy machine learning; however, I am always ready to explore exciting research topics.
The results of my research have been published in esteemed media outlets such as The Economist, Wall Street Journal, Guardian and BBC. I am an invited expert in the Device and Sensor Group of the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C). There, I collaborate with other members to set new standards for security and privacy issues of sensor connectivity in modern browsers.
Also, I am interested in hardware security and secure identification of smart devices in various Internet of Things (IoT) infrastructures.
- Trust in Emerging Technologies
- Integrity Assurance Mechanisms
- Side Channel Attacks
- Web Browser Security
- Trustworthy Machine Learning
Available for media contact about:
- Computer Science: cyber security, applied cryptography, ethical machine learning, web security
- Toreini, Ehsan, Aitken, Mhairi, Coopamootoo, Kovila, Elliott, Karen, Zelaya, Carlos Gonzalez & van Moorsel, Aad (2020), The relationship between trust in AI and trustworthy machine learning technologies, Proceedings of the 2020 Conference on Fairness, Accountability, and Transparency. 272-283.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam & Toreini, Ehsan (2019), What Is This Sensor and Does This App Need Access to It?, 6: Informatics. Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute, 7.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Toreini, Ehsan & Alajrami, Sami (2018), Making sense of sensors: mobile sensor security awareness and education, Proceedings of the 7th Workshop on Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust. 40-52.
- Aitken, Mhairi, Ng, Magdalene, Toreini, Ehsan, van Moorsel, Aad, Coopamootoo, Kovila PL & Elliott, Karen (2020). Keeping it Human: A Focus Group Study of Public Attitudes Towards AI in Banking. European Symposium on Research in Computer Security 2020, Guildford, England, Springer.
- Toreini, Ehsan (2018). New advances in tamper evident technologies. Newcastle University. PhD.
- Wang, Shen, Toreini, Ehsan & Hao, Feng (2021). Anti-Counterfeiting for Polymer Banknotes Based on Polymer Substrate Fingerprinting. IEEE Transactions on Information Forensics and Security 16: 2823-2835.
- Toreini, Ehsan, Aitken, Mhairi, Coopamootoo, Kovila PL, Elliott, Karen, Zelaya, Vladimiro Gonzalez, Missier, Paolo, Ng, Magdalene & van Moorsel, Aad (2020). Technologies for Trustworthy Machine Learning: A Survey in a Socio-Technical Context. arXiv preprint arXiv:2007.08911
- Ng, Magdalene, Coopamootoo, Kovila PL, Toreini, Ehsan, Aitken, Mhairi, Elliot, Karen & van Moorsel, Aad (2020). Simulating the Effects of Social Presence on Trust, Privacy Concerns \& Usage Intentions in Automated Bots for Finance. arXiv preprint arXiv:2006.15449
- Aitken, Mhairi, Toreini, Ehsan, Carmichael, Peter, Coopamootoo, Kovila, Elliott, Karen & van Moorsel, Aad (2020). Establishing a social licence for Financial Technology: Reflections on the role of the private sector in pursuing ethical data practices. Big Data \& Society 7(1): 2053951720908892.
- Hao, Feng, Wang, Shen, Bag, Samiran, Procter, Rob, Shahandashti, Siamak F, Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Toreini, Ehsan, Metere, Roberto & Liu, Lana (2020). End-to-End Verifiable E-Voting Trial for Polling Station Voting at Gateshead. IEEE Security \& Privacy
- Toreini, Ehsan, Shahandashti, Siamak F, Mehrnezhad, Maryam & Hao, Feng (2019). DOMtegrity: ensuring web page integrity against malicious browser extensions. International Journal of Information Security 18(6): 801-814.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Toreini, Ehsan, Shahandashti, Siamak F & Hao, Feng (2018). Stealing PINs via mobile sensors: actual risk versus user perception. International Journal of Information Security 17(3): 291-313.
- Toreini, Ehsan, Shahandashti, Siamak F & Hao, Feng (2017). Texture to the rescue: Practical paper fingerprinting based on texture patterns. ACM Transactions on Privacy and Security (TOPS) 20(3): 1-29.
- Mehrnezhad, Maryam, Bafghi, Abbas Ghaemi, Harati, Ahad & Toreini, Ehsan (2017). PiSHi: click the images and I tell if you are a human. International Journal of Information Security 16(2): 133-149.
- McCorry, Patrick, Toreini, Ehsan & Mehrnezhad, Maryam (2016). Removing trusted tallying authorities. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series
- Toreini, Ehsan, Randell, Brian & Hao, Feng (2015). An acoustic side channel attack on enigma. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series
- Clarke, Dylan, Toreini, Ehsan & Hao, Feng (2015). Determining User Passwords From Partial Information. School of Computing Science Technical Report Series
- Satvat, Kiavash, Forshaw, Matthew, Hao, Feng & Toreini, Ehsan (2014). On the privacy of private browsing-A forensic approach. Journal of information security and applications 19(1): 88-100.