Ms Ellen Robson
Post-Doctoral Research Associate
|Post-Doctoral Research Associate in the Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience|
I am a Postdoctoral Research Associate at the Institute of Hazard, Risk and Resilience. My research focuses on developing stakeholder-focused guidance and methodologies to help mitigate landslides and improve slope stabilisation in lower income countries. I have a particular interest in road slope stability. I have experience working in Nepal, Laos, Malaysia and the Philippines.
I acquired my PhD in Geotechnical Engineering from Newcastle University in 2023, which was sponsored by NERC IAPETUS. My PhD aimed to further understand some of the causes for inadequate road slope stabilisation in lower income country settings, and to develop stakeholder-focused methodologies to aid the planning and design of road slope stabilisation.
During my PhD, I completed a three month internship at the Research and Information Service (RaISe) of the Northern Ireland Assembly. During the intern, I produced a blog post on transport trends during the COVID-19 pandemic in Northern Ireland and a published research article and blog post on climate change risks to transport infrastructure in Northern Ireland.
Prior to my PhD, I received an MSci in Geology from the University of Birmingham in 2017, with a year abroad at the University of Copenhagen. During my undergraduate, I conducted two months of research at the Open University using the newly developed software, Pro3D (a 3D image viewer), to examine and measure ripple-like bedforms found along the Opportunity rover traverse of Mars.
- Geotechnical Engineering
- Road engineering
- Slope stability
- Robson, E., Utili, S., Milledge, D., & Upadhyay, N. (in press). Road slope stabilisation in Nepal: stakeholder perspectives.
- Robson, E., Agosti, A., Utili, S., & Milledge, D. (in press). A methodology for road cutting design guidelines based on field observations. Engineering Geology, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enggeo.2022.106771
- Balme, M., Robson, E., Barnes, R., Butcher, F., Fawdon, P., Huberd, B., …Vagog, J. (in press). Surface-based 3D measurements of small aeolian bedforms on Mars and implications for estimating ExoMars rover traversability hazards. Planetary and Space Science, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pss.2017.12.008
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Robson, E. (in press). Climate change risks to transport infrastructure. [Blog post]
- Robson, E. (in press). Transport trends during the COVID-19 pandemic in Northern Ireland. [Blog post]