Dr Federico Lupo-Pasini
Associate Professor in Commercial and Corporate Law
|Associate Professor in Commercial and Corporate Law in the Durham Law School|
I joined the Law School in 2018 as Associate Professor in Corporate and Commercial Law. My research focuses on international financial law and financial regulation.
I studied the role of legal institutions in the process of financial globalization and the rise of financial nationalism and protectionism, which I discussed in my book, The Logic of Financial Nationalism (CUP, 2017).
I have also worked on the disappearance of cash and the dangers of financial exclusion due to the rise of digital payment technologies. More recently, I have been working on various aspects of sovereign debt, including transparency in sovereign debt transactions, as well as the role of sustainable finance in sovereign finance.
Due to my past in trade policy, I maintain a lively interest in international economic law, especially international trade.
I obtained my Ph.D. from the National University of Singapore. Before entering academia, I worked for a few years in South East Asia, advising governments on international trade and financial regulation. More recently, I have also consulted with the Government of Northern Ireland on the trade implications of Brexit.
- International Financial and Monetary Law
- Financial Regulation
- Financial Law
- International Trade Law
- Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law
- Federico Lupo-Pasini (2017). The Logic of Financial Nationalism: The Problems of Cooperation and the Role of International Law. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
Chapter in book
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2020). Financial Stability as a Common Concern of Humankind. In The Prospect of Common Concern of Humankind in International Law. Cottier, Thomas Cambridge University Press.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2019). Banking Integration in ASEAN and the Challenges of Regulatory Cooperation. In ASEAN Law in the New Regional Economic Order: Global Trends and Shifting Paradigm. Hsieh, Pasha & Mercurio, Bryan Cambridge University Press. 129-148.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2018). Emerging Regulatory Issues for Financial Services in the New Generation of FTAs. In China-European Union Investment Relationships: Towards a New Leadership in Global Investment Governance?. Chaisse, Julien Edward Elgar. 156-177.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini (2014). Monetary Policy Measures in Investment Law: The Uneasy Relationship between Monetary Stability and Investment Protection. In The Rule of Law in Monetary Affairs. Thomas Cottier, Rosa Maria Lastra, Christian Tietje & Lucia Satragno Cambridge University Press. 570-592.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2022). Sustainable Finance and Sovereign Debt: The Illusion to Govern by Contract. Journal of International Economic Law 25(4): 1-19.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2021). Hidden sovereign finance. Capital Markets Law Journal 16(2): 165-186.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2021). Financial Inclusion and the 'War for Cash'. Law & Contemporary Problems 84(1): 17-33.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2021). Monetary Transitions and Property Rights: Lessons from India's 2016 Demonetisation. Banking & Finance Law Review
- Lupo-Pasini, F (2020). Is it a wonderful life? Cashless societies and monetary exclusion. Review of Banking and Financial Law 40.
- Lupo-Pasini, Federico (2019). The Rise of Nationalism in International Finance: The Perennial Lure of Populism in International Financial Relations. Duke Journal of Comparative & International Law 30(1): 93-141.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini (2018). Financial Disputes in International Courts. Journal of International Economic Law 21(1): 1-30.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini (2017). Financial Stability in International Law. Melbourne Journal of International Law 18(1): 48-70.
- Evan Gibson, Federico Lupo-Pasini & Ross P. Buckley (2015). Regulating Digital Financial Services Agents in Developing Countries to Promote Financial Inclusion. Singapore Journal of Legal Studies 26-45.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini & Ross P. Buckley (2015). International Coordination in Cross-Border Bank Bail-ins: Problems and Prospects. European Business Organization Law Review 16(2): 203-226.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini & Ross P. Buckley (2015). Global Systemic Risk and International Regulatory Coordination: Squaring Sovereignty and Financial Stability. American University International Law Review 30(4): 665-741.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini (2013). Economic Stability and Economic Governance in the Euro Area: What the European Crisis Can Teach on the Limits of Economic Integration. Journal of International Economic Law 16(1): 211-256.
- Federico Lupo-Pasini (2012). Movement of Capital and Trade in Services: Distinguishing Myth from Reality Regarding the GATS and the Liberalization of the Capital Account. Journal of International Economic Law 15(2): 581-619.