Professor Paul Luft
Honorary Research Fellow
Dipl. Phil. Persian Studies; Dr. Phil. Islamic Studies, Modern History and Turcology
|Honorary Research Fellow in the School of Government and International Affairs|
|Honorary Lecturer of Institute for Middle Eastern and Islamic Studies||+44 (0) 191 33 45664|
Born and educated in Germany, Dr Luft received his academic training in Iranian Studies, Medieval and Modern History and Islamic Studies at the Universities of Berlin and Göttingen. After a three year Visiting Fellowship at St Antony's College Oxford between 1969 and 1972, and having a research/teaching post at Göttingen University, Dr Luft became a Fellow of the German Historical Institute, London.
Following his retirement, Dr Luft became an Honorary Fellow at the Institute of Middle Eastern & Islamic Studies, Durham University, co-founding the Centre for Iranian Studies.
- 1958-61 Secretary of the German-Arab Society; Berlin
- 1965-69 Research Fellow; Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
- 1969-73 Visiting Fellow, St. Antony's College; Oxford
- 1973-77 Assistant; University of Göttingen
- 1977-80 Fellow, German Historical Institute; London
- 1980-81 Temporary lecturer (part-time); University of Manchester
- 1981-89 Lecturer, Oriental School; University of Durham
- 1989-99 Lecturer/Senior lecturer; University of Manchester
Other academic activities
- 1977-80 Editor of the 'Bulletin' for the German Historical Institute; London
- 1983 Guest Professor, Tübingen University
- 1988 Guest Professor, Free University; Berlin
- 1988 Iranian Fellow, Oxford
- 1993 - Member of the editorial board of Journal of 'BRISMES'
- 2006 - Member of the editorial board of 'Iran'
Chapter in book
- Luft, J.P. (2000). 'Die Islamische Revolution 1979'. In Grosse Revolution der Geschicte. Wende, Peter. Meunchen: 333-356.
- Luft, J.P. (1994). 'Gottesstaat und hoefische Gesellschaft'. In Asien in der Neuzeit, 1500-1950. Dabringhaus, Sabine, Freitag, Ulrike & Air, Paul Frankfurt:
- Luft, J.P. (1986). 'The Persian Railway Syndicate and British Railway Policy in Iran'. In The Gulf in the Early 20th Century. Lawless, R.I.
- Luft, J.P. & Turner, Colin. (2008). 'Shi'ism: Critical Concepts in Islamic Studies'. London: Routledge.
- Luft, J.P. (1975). 'Strategische Interessen und Anleihenpolitik Russlands in Iran im 19.Jh'. Geschichte und Gesellschaft 1: 506-538.