Dr Janie Ling-Chin
Assistant Professor (Research)
BEng, MSc, PhD
|Assistant Professor (Research) in the Department of Engineering||E268 Higginson|
|Fellow in the Durham Energy Institute|
Dr Janie LING CHIN is an early career researcher currently managing "A Network for Hydrogen-fuelled Transportation" (Network-H2) and the "Thermal Energy Challenge Network" funded by the Research Council UK. Her research areas primarily focus on life cycle assessment and thermal management whilst she is involved in the technical research on carbon capture, storage and utilisation (CCUS) and health index of electrical energy storage. In addition, she has the specialist skills essential to project management, which are built upon her qualification (MSc in Project Management) and strengthened via professional development (PRINCE2® Foundation and Practitioner certificates in Project Management) and hands-on experience in managing 5 on-going/previous research network projects. To date, she has organised and delivered more than 20 national and international stakeholder engagement activities.
- Life cycle assessment
- Thermal management
- Carbon capture, storage and utilisation
- Hydrogen technology
- Health index of electrical energy storage
Chapter in book
- Ling-Chin, Janie Rajendran, Keerthi & Roskilly, Anthony P (2019). Energy economics and environment of energy systems. In Handbook of Energy Economics. Soytaş, Uğur & Sarı, Ramazan Routledge. 192-206.
- Ling-Chin, Janie, Bao, Huashan, Ma, Zhiwei, Taylor, Wendy & Roskilly, Anthony Paul (2018). State-of-the-Art Technologies on Low-Grade Heat Recovery and Utilization in Industry. In Energy Conversion: Current Technologies and Future Trends. Al-Bahadly, Ibrahim H. IntechOpen. 55-74.
- Rajendran, Keerthi, Ling-Chin, Janie & Roskilly, Anthony P. (2015). Thermal Energy Efficiency in Industrial Processes. In Handbook of Clean Energy Systems. Wiley. 1.
- Giampieri, A., Ling-Chin, J., Taylor, W., Smallbone, A. & Roskilly, A. P. (2019), Moving towards low-carbon manufacturing in the UK automotive industry, in Yan, J, Yang, HX, Li, H & Chen, X eds, Energy Procedia 158: 3381-3386.
- Ling-Chin, J., Taylor, W., Davidson, P., Reay, D., Tassou, S. & Roskilly, A.P. (2019), UK policies and industrial stakeholder perspectives on building thermal performance, 158: 3375.
- Jiang, L, Gonzalez-Diaz, A, Ling-Chin, J, Roskilly, AP & Smallbone, AJ (2019), Performance analysis for post-combustion CO2 capture from a natural gas combined cycle power plant using activated carbon, The 5th International Conference Sustainable Thermal Energy Management (SusTEM2019). China.
- Giampieri, A., Ling-Chin, J., Ma, Z., Smallbone, A. & Roskilly, A.P. (2020). A review of the current automotive manufacturing practice from an energy perspective. Applied Energy 261: 114074.
- Jiang, L., Gonzalez-Diaz, A., Ling-Chin, J., Malik, A., Roskilly, A. P. & Smallbone, A. J. (2020). PEF plastic synthesized from industrial carbon dioxide and biowaste. Nature Sustainability 3(9): 761-767.
- Ling-Chin, J., Taylor, W., Davidson, P., Reay, D., Nazi, W.I., Tassou, S. & Roskilly, A.P. (2019). UK building thermal performance from industrial and governmental perspectives. Applied Energy 237: 270.
- Giampieri, Alessandro, Ma, Zhiwei, Chin, Janie Ling, Smallbone, Andrew, Lyons, Padraig, Khan, Imad, Hemphill, Stephen & Roskilly, Anthony Paul (2019). Techno-economic analysis of the thermal energy saving options for high-voltage direct current interconnectors. Applied Energy 247: 60-77.
- Jiang, L., Gonzalez-Diaz, A., Ling-Chin, J., Roskilly, A. P. & Smallbone, A. J. (2019). Post-combustion CO2 capture from a natural gas combined cycle power plant using activated carbon adsorption. APPLIED ENERGY 245: 1-15.
- Ling-Chin, Janie & Roskilly, Anthony P. (2016). A comparative life cycle assessment of marine power systems. Energy Conversion and Management 127: 477.
- Ling-Chin, J. & Roskilly, A.P. (2016). Investigating a conventional and retrofit power plant on-board a Roll-on/Roll-off cargo ship from a sustainability perspective – A life cycle assessment case study. Energy Conversion and Management 117: 305-318.
- Ling-Chin, J., Heidrich, O. & Roskilly, A.P. (2016). Life cycle assessment (LCA) – from analysing methodology development to introducing an LCA framework for marine photovoltaic (PV) systems. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 59: 352.
- Ling-Chin, Janie & Roskilly, Anthony P. (2016). Investigating the implications of a new-build hybrid power system for Roll-on/Roll-off cargo ships from a sustainability perspective – A life cycle assessment case study. Applied Energy 181: 416.
- Chan, C.W., Siqueiros, E., Ling-Chin, J., Royapoor, M. & Roskilly, A.P. (2015). Heat utilisation technologies: A critical review of heat pipes. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 50: 615.
- Chan, C.W., Ling-Chin, J. & Roskilly, A.P. (2013). A review of chemical heat pumps, thermodynamic cycles and thermal energy storage technologies for low grade heat utilisation. Applied Thermal Engineering 50(1): 1257.