Dr Jenifer Varzaly
Assistant Professor of Commercial and Corporate Law
|Assistant Professor of Commercial and Corporate Law in the Durham Law School|
Jenifer Varzaly is Assistant Professor in Commercial and Corporate Law at Durham Law School. Prior to joining the Law School in 2020, Jenifer was Director of Studies and Bye-Fellow in Law at Downing College, Cambridge University. She completed her M.Phil at Oxford University, prior to joining Cambridge University to undertake her PhD. Before joining Oxford, Jenifer was a Corporate Law Lecturer at the University of Adelaide, Australia, where she graduated with Honours from Law and was the top graduate in the Master of Laws degree.
Jenifer has been a visiting academic at Columbia University and at Stanford University, and consulted in the areas of corporate law and finance in the US, Australia, and the UK. She has been invited to present at a range of international forums, including the Oxford University Commercial Law Centre, UNCITRAL, UNIDROIT, and the Securities and Futures Commission of Hong Kong. Jenifer is admitted to practice as a barrister and solicitor in Australia, and has served as a director and chair of the governance committee on a public company board.
- Corporate Law
- Corporate Finance
- Commercial Law
- Law and Economics
- Financial Regulation
- Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law
- Varzaly, J (2014). Corporate Governance in the Shadow of the State. The Cambridge Law Journal 73.
Chapter in book
- Varzaly, J (2020). Towards a Unified Approach to Economic Assessment in International Commercial Law Reform. In The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Change and Reform. Akseli, O & Linarelli, J Hart Publishing.
- Varzaly, Jenifer (2020). The effectiveness of disclosure law enforcement in Australia. Journal of Corporate Law Studies
- Varzaly, J (2015). The Enforcement of Directors’ Duties in Australia: An Empirical Analysis. European Business Organization Law Review
- Varzaly, J (2012). Protecting the Authority of Directors: An Empirical Analysis of the Statutory Business Judgment Rule. Journal of Corporate Law Studies
- Varzaly, J (2010). Judicial Reconsideration of the Nature of Directors' Duties in Australia. International Company and Commercial Law Review
- Varzaly, J (2010). Australian developments in consequential loss. The Company Lawwyer
- Varzaly, J & Baron, J (2009). Innovating Corporate Governance Teaching through Online Scenario-Based Learning. International Review of Business Research Papers
- Varzaly, J (2008). Do directors’ duties in Australia provide adequate scope for risk-taking? An examination of the current law and defence reform proposals. Monash Business Review