Dr Johny Daniel
|Assistant Professor in the School of Education|
|Fellow of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
Johny Daniel is an assistant professor at the School of Education at Durham University. Dr. Daniel’s research focuses on developing and testing reading interventions and assessments for pupils, including those with and at-risk of learning difficulties such as dyslexia. He has extensive experience in developing and testing reading interventions for pupils at-risk of reading failure. He has worked on multiple funded projects that have examined innovative approaches to improve pupils’ reading comprehension skills, inference making skills, and other related factors such as anxiety management.
Dr. Daniel holds a Ph.D. in Special Education and an M.Ed. in Educational Psychology from The University of Texas at Austin. He also holds an M.Ed. in Special Education from Vanderbilt University. Prior to this, he taught English as a second language in multiple countries.
2023: Global Engagement Grant (£3064). Evidence-based reading instruction in India. Role: Primary Investigator
2022: Identifying Pupils with Reading Disabilities: A Practitioner Survey (£5000 from the British Educational Research Association) Role: Primary Investigator
2022: Open access lesson plans to enrich supplemental instruction for primary grade students at-risk of reading failure (£13790.59 from the Economic and Social Research Council) Role: Primary Investigator
- Reading interventions
- Learning difficulties
- Special education
- Secondary data analysis
- Research methodology
- 0000: : Fellow ;of the Royal Society of Arts ;
Editorial Board Member for the Review of Education journal
Editorial Board Member ;for the Plos One ;journal
Consulting Editor for the Journal of Learning Disabilities
Review Editor ;for the Frontiers in Education journal
- Cawthon, Stephanie Barker, Elizabeth, Daniel, Johny & Cooc, North (2021), Myth Busting With Data: Longitudinal Models of Reading and Mathematics Achievement in Deaf Students, AERA Annual Meeting. San Diego, California.
- Daniel, J. & Barth, A. (2023). Exploring reading profiles of rural school students. Annals of Dyslexia
- Cawthorn, Stephanie W. Barker, Elizabeth Daniel, Johny, Cooc, North & Vielma, Ana G. (2023). Longitudinal Models of Reading and Mathematics Achievement in Deaf and Hard of Hearing Students. The Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education 28(1): 115-123.
- Fishstrom, S, Wang, H, Bhat, B, Daniel, J, Dille, J, Capin, P & Vaughn, S (2022). A meta-analysis of the effects of academic interventions on academic achievement and academic anxiety outcomes in elementary school children. Journal of School Psychology 92: 265-284.
- Daniel, Johny, Vaughn, Sharon, Roberts, Gregory & Grills, Amie (2022). The Importance of Baseline Word Reading Skills in Examining Student Response to a Multicomponent Reading Intervention. Journal of Learning Disabilities 55(4): 259-271.
- Vaughn, Sharon, Grills, Amie, Capin, Philip, Roberts, Greg, Fall, Anna Maria & Daniel, Johny (2022). Examining the Effects of Integrating Anxiety Management Instruction Within a Reading Intervention for Upper Elementary Students With Reading Difficulties. Journal of Learning Disabilities 55(5): 408–426.
- Barth, Amy E., Daniel, Johny, Roberts, Gregory, Vaughn, Sharon, Barnes, Marcia A., Ankrum, Ethan & Kincaid, Heather (2021). The role of knowledge availability in forming inferences with rural middle grade English learners. Learning and Individual Differences 88: 102006.
- Daniel, Johny, Capin, Philip & Steinle, Paul (2021). A Synthesis of the Sustainability of Remedial Reading Intervention Effects for Struggling Adolescent Readers. Journal of Learning Disabilities 54(3): 170-186.
- Daniel, Johny & Williams, Kelly J. (2021). Self-Questioning Strategy for Struggling Readers: A Synthesis. Remedial and Special Education 42(4): 248-261.
- Daniel, Johny R. & Cooc, North (2018). Teachers’ Perceptions of Academic Intrinsic Motivation for Students With Disabilities. The Journal of Special Education 52(2): 101-112.
- Daniel, Johny & Lemons, Christopher (2018). Teacher perspectives on intervention sustainability: implications for school leadership. School Leadership & Management 38(5): 518-538.