Dr Kate Butterby
Postdoctoral Research Associate
|Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Department of Sociology|
I completed my PhD in 2018, which explored police response to same-sex partner abuse in England and Wales. I am currently employed as a Postdoctoral Research Associate within the Department of Sociology, working alongside Professor Simon Hackett to support his research activities in the field of child abuse and neglect, and Professor Catherine Donovan, supporting research activities into violence and abuse. Alongside Professor Donovan, I have recently begun work as a Research Associate on an international collaboration hosted by McGill University, Montreal, which involves exploring and addressing sexual violence on campus. https://www.mcgill.ca/definetheline/impacts
Prior to my current roles, I worked alongside Durham Police to carry out a process and impact evaluation of the Child Advocacy Project (2016-2018). The project aimed to improve services for children who experience child sexual abuse and/or exploitation. I was also employed as a Knowledge Transfer Partnership (KTP) Associate based within Durham Police. This two year project aimed to improve police response to coercive control using innovative arts-based methods. We worked alongside Open Clasp Theatre company who produced arts-based training for the police base upon Durham University research exploring experiences of survivors.
Other projects I have worked on at Durham University within the broad field of violence and abuse have explored: sexual violence in mainstream pornography, domestic violence perpetrator programmes, the remit of LGBT+ specialist domestic violence and abuse services, how practitioner-educators teach about child sexual abuse and exploitation.
My research interests include gender and sexuality, domestic abuse, policing of domestic abuse, sexual violence, child abuse and neglect and self-harm in same-sex populations.
- Child Advocacy Project
- Policing Domestic Abuse Knowledge Transfer Project
- (2018). Breaking barriers and building bridges: Police responses to same-sex partner abuse in England and Wales. PhD.
- Butterby, Kate & Hackett, Simon (2021). ‘It’s like we’re locked in a box’ Girls’ and mothers’ experiences of the police and legal system following child sexual abuse. Children & Society
- Vera-Gray, Fiona, McGlynn, Clare, Kureshi, Ibad & Butterby, Kate (2021). Sexual violence as a sexual script in mainstream online pornography. British Journal of Criminology 61(5): 1243-1260.
- Butterby, K & Westmarland, N (2015). Victims' views on policing partner violence. (13).
- Donovan, C & Butterby, K (2020). An eight day working week: LGBT+ Domestic Abuse Sector Snapshot. Durham University.
- Donovan, C., Butterworth, K., Durey, M. & Hugman, C. (2015). Rape Crisis Tyneside and Northumberland: Grace (covering Northumberland). Rape Crisis Service Evaluation.
- Catherine Donovan, Matthew Durey, Kate Butterworth & Catriona Hugman (2015). Rape Crisis Tyneside and Northumberland Tyneside Rape Crisis (covering Gateshead, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, North Tyneside and South Tyneside) service evaluation.
- Donovan, C., Butterworth, K., Durey, M. & Hugman, C. (2015). Rape Crisis Tyneside and Northumberland: Tyneside Rape Crisis (covering Gateshead, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne, North Tyneside and South Tyneside). Rape Crisis Service Evaluation.
- Catherine Donovan, Matthew Durey, Kate Butterworth & Catriona Hugman (2015). Rape crisis Tyneside and Northumberland Grace (covering Northumberland) Rape Crisis service evaluation.