I am an Honorary Fellow and Teaching Associate in the Department of English Studies. I also teach English as an Associate Lecturer at Newcastle University. I have previously taught Translation (MA) at Durham, in the School of Modern Languages & Cultures. At Department of English Studies, in addition to Level 1 modules, I have taught on a range of English Literature modules, including 'Post-war Fiction and Poetry' (L3), 'Literature of the Modern Period' (L2), 'Victorian Literature' (L2), and 'Literature of the Romantic Period' (L2).
I specialise in the literature and culture of Decadence and Aestheticism and have published widely on on fin-de-siècle themes. I am the author of The Decadent Image: The Poetry of Wilde, Symons, and Dowson (Edinburgh University Press, 2015), partly funded by the Friends of Princeton University Library Research Grant (FPUL). I have co-edited The Decadent Short Story: An Annotated Anthology (Edinburgh University Press, 2014), a book that showcases the instrumental role of little magazines in the shaping of the short story form. I co-edited, with Mark Sandy, the essay collection Decadent Romanticism: 1780-1914 (Ashgate, 2015). I have also co-edited volumes on aspects of modernism and modernity: Literary and Cultural Alternatives to Modernism: Unsettling Presences (Routledge, 2019) and Aphoristic Modernity: 1880 to the Present (Brill, 2020). Published journal articles and chapters in volumes are devoted to such authors as Oscar Wilde, Arthur Symons, Ernest Dowson, and Arthur Machen.
I am currently working, among other things, on a collection of essays, with Joseph Thorne, on Neo-Victorian Decadence, to appear in Brill's Neo-Victorian Series. In connection with this project, I am on the co-organising committee of a study group and a conference on neo-Victorian decadence to be held in October 2022 in Pescara, hosted by the Centre of Victorian and Edwardian Studies (CUSVE) at the D'Annunzio University of Chieti-Pescara and the Decadence Research Centre (Goldsmiths). A monograph on science fiction and decadence is in preparation.
- Aestheticism and Decadence
- Legacies of decadence
- Fin-de-siècle literature and culture
- Comparative literature / Translation
- 1890s little magazines
- Science fiction
- metatextuality / metapoetics
- 2016: : Keynote talk. ;‘Tropes of Tainted Medievalism: Ernest Dowson’s Recasting of Fin’Amor.’ ‘Ernest Dowson (1867–1900): Poet, Translator, Novelist.’ Goldsmiths, University of London. 15 April 2016.
- 2015: : Invited talk. ;‘Raconteur and Racketeer: Oscar Wilde and the Confidence Trick.’ Research Centre for Literature and Cultural History. Liverpool John Moores University. 24 November 2015.
- 2013: : Princeton University Library Research Grant. The Friends of Princeton University Library (FPUL). Firestone Library. Value: $2,500.00.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2015). The Decadent Image: The Poetry of Wilde, Symons and Dowson. Edinburgh University Press.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2020). The Darkening Age: The Christian Destruction of the Classical World. By Catherine Nixey. Literature and Theology 34(4): 510-511.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2020). 'Oscar: A Life. By Matthew Sturgis'. Studies in Walter Pater and Aestheticism (SWPA) 5: 133-136.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2019). Decadence: A Very Short Introduction. By David Weir. Volupté Interdisciplinary Journal of Decadence Studies 2(1): 146-151.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2019). Algernon Charles Swinburne. Ed. by Francis O'Gorman; Algernon Charles Swinburne: Unofficial Laureate. Ed. by Catherine Maxwell and Stefano Evangelista. Notes and Queries 66(3): 481-483.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2018). Scents and Sensibility: Perfume in Victorian Literary Culture. By Catherine Maxwell. The Review of English Studies 69(291): 801-803.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2018). Steampunk and Nineteenth-Century Digital Humanities: Literary Retrofuturisms, Media Archaeologies, Alternate Histories. By Roger Whitson. The BARS Review 52.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2013). Decadence: An Annotated Anthology. By Jane Desmarais and Chris Baldick. European English Messenger 22(1): 93-94.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2013). How Literature Changes the Way We Think. By Michael Mack. Postgraduate English (26).
Chapter in book
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2021). 'Lucian’s Ornaments in Jade: Symbolist Decadence in Arthur Machen’s Prose Poetry'. In Arthur Machen: Critical Essays. Antonio Sanna Lexington Books. 151-169.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2021). 'The Decadent Short Story: Forms of the Morbid'. In The Oxford Handbook of Decadence. Jane Desmarais, & David Weir Oxford University Press. 301-317.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2020). ‘Brilliancy and Mimicry: Epigrammatic Wit in Oscar Wilde, Max Beerbohm, and Ada Leverson’. In Aphoristic Modernity: 1880 to the Present. Kostas Boyiopoulos & Michael Shallcross Brill. 73-93.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2019). 'Modernistic shone the lamplight’ Arthur Symons among the Moderns. In Literary and Cultural Alternatives to Modernism: Unsettling Presences. Boyiopoulos, Kostas, Patterson, Anthony & Sandy, Mark New York; Oxon: Routledge. 101-117.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2019). ‘Tainted Medievalism: Ernest Dowson and Courtly Love'. In In Cynara’s Shadow: Collected Essays on Ernest Dowson. Alice Conde, & Jessica Gosling Peter Lang. 7: 25-56.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2018). ‘Eros/Threnos: Mournful Necrophilia in Wilde and Fernando Pessoa’s “Antinous”’. In Wilde’s Other Worlds. Michael F. Davis, & Petra Dierkes-Thrun Routledge.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2018). 'Death by Unrequited Eros: Salome, Hippolytus, and Wilde's Inversion of Tragedy'. In Oscar Wilde and Classical Antiquity. Kathleen Riley,, Alastair Blanshard, & Iarla Manny Oxford University Press. 141-158.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2017). ‘“Limbo’s Dreary Scope” Thomson’s The City of Dreadful Night and the Fin-de-siècle Necropolis’. In Urban Monstrosities: Perversity and Upheaval in the Unreal City. Joseph Lamperez & J. Alexandra McGhee Cambridge Scholars Publishing. 28-45.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2017). ‘“Use my body like the pages of a book” Decadence and the Eroticised Text’. In Decadence and the Senses. Jane Desmarais, & Alice Condé Legenda.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2015). ‘“Circe’s Wine” Symons, Dowson, and Keats’s Intoxications’. In Decadent Romanticism. Boyiopoulos, Kostas & Mark Sandy. Ashgate.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas & Michael Shallcross (2019). Aphoristic Modernity: 1880 to the Present. Literary Modernism, Vol. 6. Brill.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas, Patterson, Anthony & Sandy, Mark (2019). Literary and Cultural Alternatives to Modernism: Unsettling Presences. Studies in Twentieth-Century Literature. Routledge.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas & Sandy, Mark (2015). Decadent Romanticism: 1780-1914. The Nineteenth Century Series. Ashgate.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas, Yoonjoung Choi & Matthew Brinton Tildesley (2014). The Decadent Short Story: An Annotated Anthology. Edinburgh University Press.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2021). Oscar Wilde and the Confidence Trick. Journal of Victorian Culture 26(4): 596-610.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2019). 'Decadence and the Necrophilic Intertext of Film Noir: Nikos Nikolaidis’ Singapore Sling'. Volupté Interdisciplinary Journal of Decadence Studies 2(2): 143-177.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2018). ‘“The Universe” An Unpublished Sonnet by Arthur Symons’. Volupté Interdisciplinary Journal of Decadence Studies 1(1): 89-94.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2014). 'Simulation in The Picture of Dorian Gray: Echoing Hamlet, Anticipating Baudrillard, and the Comparative'. Comparative Critical Studies 11(1): 7-27.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2013). ‘“The Serried Maze” Terrain, Consciousness and Textuality in Machen’s The Hill of Dreams’. Victoriographies 3(1): 46-63.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2012). ‘The Darkening of the Mirror: C. P. Cavafy’s Variations on The Picture of Dorian Gray’. Journal of Modern Greek Studies 30(1): 21-43.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2011). ‘“Jeweled Style” Autonomous Artificiality as Gemstone Text-ure in Wilde’s The Sphinx’. Style 45(3): 510-527.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2010). ‘“Esoteric Elements” The Judeo-Christian Scheme in Arthur Machen’s The Great God Pan’. Neophilologus 94: 363-374.
Other (Digital/Visual Media)
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2022). 'Lionel Johnson (1867–1902)'.
- Boyiopoulos, Kostas (2017). ‘Symons, Arthur William (1865–1945)’.