|Associate Professor in the Department of Earth Sciences||Rm 318||+44 (0) 191 33 42343|
My research is in igneous petrology, volcanology and magmatism, with a focus on understanding processes of magma storage, chemical evolution and migration within the crust using both natural materials and experimental approaches. My current research interests include (i) using crystal textures to understand and quantify magma solidifcation and the physical behaviour of crystal mushes, and (ii) volatiles in volcanic processes, including the timing of fluid exsolution and the enrichment and migration of metals in volcanic settings.
Current and recent research projects include:
- using crystal textures combined with apatite geochemistry to interpret crystal mush behaviour in the lead-up to big eruptions (ERC Consolidator; PI)
- using plagioclase crystal textures to understand mush processes in intermediate arc magmatic systems (NERC; PI)
- defining speciation and structural environments for metals and volatiles complexes in silicate melts (in collaboration with Alex Iveson; Leverhulme Early Career Fellowship)
- exploiting volatile diffusion in apatite to monitor magmatic processes and timescales (NERC; led by Dr Richard Brooker, University of Bristol)
- developing the use of apatite as a tool to understand and quantitatively interpret the pre-eruptive evolution of volatiles in magma (NERC; PI)
We have a very active volcanology-petrology group in Durham. Currently working with me are: (i) Dr Martin Mangler, working on plagioclase-rich crystal mushes in subduction zone magmas; (ii) Dr Alex Iveson (Leverhulme Early Career Fellow), working on halogens and trace elements in evolved melts; (iii) Dr Charline Lormand, who is working on the behaviour of volatiles in apatite; and (iv) Dr Amanda Lindoo, who is working on crystal shape in plagioclase (currently based at Bristol).
Current PhD students include Madeleine Stow, who is working on transition metal stable isotope fractionation in granites (primary supervisor Julie Prytulak); Kris Sokól (St Andrews) who is working on fenite alteration around alkaline intrusions (primary supervisor Adrian Finch); Annabelle Foster, who is working on sintering textures in obsidian (primary supervisor Fabian Wadsworth); and Ceri Allgood, who is working on textures and experiments related to dyke propagation and flow (primary supervisor Ed Llewellin). MScR student Eshbal Geifman has recently completed her thesis on high-temperature plagioclase crystallisation experiments using a microscope-mounted heating stage.
I am always happy to hear from potential graduate students or post-docs interested in developing projects at Durham.
- Geochemistry Research Group
- Volcanology Research Group
- 2020: Magma mush eruptibility: the lifetime of mobile magma(£492261.42 from Natural Environmental Research Council)
- 2020: STEMMS: Storage and Eruption of Mushy Magma Systems(£1513850.77 from Interreg (ERDF) Europe)
- 2018: Apatite as a Monitor of Magmatic Processes and Timescales(£8283.00 from Natural Environmental Research Council)
- 2016: RF050272: Royal Society University Research Fellowship Renewal, The Royal Society, £278k
- 2016: RF050291: Reconstructing eruptive processes from volatile distribution in volcanic glass, NERC - Natural Environment Research Council, £482k
- 2014: Volatiles, Geodynamics and Solid Earth Controls on the Habitable Planet(£403276.00 from NERC - Natural Environment Research Council)
- 2013: PI, RF050219: University Research Fellowship, The Royal Society, £658k (transferred from University of Oxford, October 2013)
- 2013: PI, RF050236: Apatite as a quantitative tool for tephrochronology and magmatic evolution, NERC, £199k
- 2013: PI, RF050241: The structure and rheology of crystal mushes, NERC, £10.9k
- 2020: Associate Editor, Journal of Petrology:
- 2019: Wager Medal, IAVCEI:
- 2017: Editorial board member, Geology:
- 2012: Max Hey medal, Mineralogical Society of Great Britain:
- 2008: President's Award, Geological Society of London:
Chapter in book
- Edmonds, M., Humphreys, M.C.S., Hauri, E., Herd, R., Wadge, G., Rawson, H., Ledden, R., Plail, M., Barclay, J., Aiuppa, A., Christopher, T., Giudice, G. & Guida, R. (2014). Pre-eruptive vapour and its role in controlling eruption style and longevity at Soufriere Hills Volcano. In The Eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Wadge, G., Robertson, R.E.A. & Voight, B. The Geological Society of London. 39: 291-315.
- Christopher, T., Humphreys, M.C.S., Barclay, J., Genareau, K., De Angelis, S.M.H., Plail, M. & Donovan, A. (2014). Petrological and geochemical variation during the Soufrière Hills eruption, 1995 to 2010. In The Eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Wadge, G., Robertson, R.E.A. & Voight, B. The Geological Society of London. 39: 317-342.
- Plail, M., Barclay, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Herd, R.A. & Christopher, T.E. (2014). Characterization of mafic enclaves in the erupted products of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat, 2009 to 2010. In The Eruption of Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat from 2000 to 2010. Wadge, G., Robertson, R.E.A. & Voight, B. The Geological Society of London. 39: 343-360.
- Holness, Marian B., Humphreys, Madeleine C.S., Namur, O., Andersen, J.C.Ø., Tegner, C. & Nielsen, T.F.D. (2022). Crystal mush growth and collapse on a steep wall: the Marginal Border Series of the Skaergaard Intrusion, East Greenland. Journal of Petrology 63(1): 1-21.
- Stow, Madeleine A., Prytulak, Julie, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S. & Nowell, Geoffrey M. (2021). Integrated Petrological and Fe-Zn Isotopic Modelling of Plutonic Differentiation. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta
- Humphreys, Madeleine C S, Smith, Victoria C, Coumans, Jason P, Riker, Jenny M, Stock, Michael J, de Hoog, J.C.M. & Brooker, Richard A. (2021). Rapid pre-eruptive mush reorganisation and atmospheric volatile emissions from the 12.9 ka Laacher See eruption, determined using apatite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 576: 117198.
- Iveson, Alexander A., Humphreys, Madeleine C.S., Savov, Ivan P., de Hoog, Jan C.M., Turner, Stephen J., Churikova, Tatiana G., Macpherson, Colin. G., Mather, Tamsin A., Gordeychik, Boris N., Tomanikova, Lubomira, Agostini, Samuele, Hammond, Keiji, Pyle, David M. & Cooper, George F. (2021). Deciphering variable mantle sources and hydrous inputs to arc magmas in Kamchatka. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 562: 116848.
- Blundy, Jon, Melekhova, Elena, Ziberna, Luca, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S., Cerantola, Valerio, Brooker, Richard A., McCammon, Catherine A., Pichavant, Michel & Ulmer, Peter (2020). Effect of redox on Fe–Mg–Mn exchange between olivine and melt and an oxybarometer for basalts. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 175(11): 103.
- Coumans, J.P., Llewellin, E.W., Wadsworth, F.B., Humphreys, M.C.S., Mathias, S.A., Yelverton, B.M. & Gardner, J.E. (2020). An experimentally validated numerical model for bubble growth in magma. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 402: 107002.
- Coumans, Jason P, Llewellin, Ed W, Humphreys, Madeleine C, Nowak, Marcus, Brooker, Richard A, Mathias, Simon A & McIntosh, Iona M (2020). An experimentally-validated numerical model of diffusion and speciation of water in rhyolitic silicate melt. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 276: 219-238.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Zhang, J., Cooper, G.F., Macpherson, C.G. & Ottley, C.J. (2019). Identifying the ingredients of hydrous arc magmas: insights from Mt Lamington, Papua New Guinea. Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society A 377(2139): 20180018.
- Humphreys, Madeleine C. S., Cooper, George F., Zhang, Jing, Loewen, Matthew, Kent, Adam J. R., Macpherson, Colin G. & Davidson, Jon P. (2019). Unravelling the complexity of magma plumbing at Mount St. Helens: a new trace element partitioning scheme for amphibole. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 174(1): 9.
- Namur, Olivier & Humphreys, Madeleine C.S. (2018). Trace element constraints on the differentiation and crystal mush solidification in the Skaergaard intrusion, Greenland. Journal of Petrology 59(3): 387-418.
- Stock, Michael J., Humphreys, Madeleine C.S., Smith, Victoria C., Isaia, Roberto, Brooker, Richard A. & Pyle, David M. (2018). Tracking volatile behaviour in sub-volcanic plumbing systems using apatite and glass: insights into pre-eruptive processes at Campi Flegrei, Italy. Journal of Petrology 59(12): 2463-2492.
- Riker, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Brooker, R.A., de Hoog, J.C.M. & EIMF (2018). First measurements of OH-C exchange and temperature-dependent partitioning of OH and halogens in the system apatite - silicate melt. American Mineralogist 103(2): 260-270.
- Plail, Melissa, Edmonds, Marie, Woods, Andrew, Barclay, Jenni, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S., Herd, Richard A. & Christopher, Thomas (2018). Mafic enclaves record syn-eruptive basalt intrusion and mixing. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 484: 30-40.
- Zhang, J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Cooper, G., Davidson, J.P. & Macpherson, C.G. (2017). Magma mush chemistry at subduction zones, revealed by new melt major element inversion from calcic amphiboles. American Mineralogist 102(6): 1353-1367.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M. & Kloecking, M.S. (2016). The validity of plagioclase-melt geothermometry for degassing-driven magma crystallization. American Mineralogist 101(4): 769-779.
- Edmonds, M., Kohn, S.C., Hauri, E.H., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Cassidy, M. (2016). Extensive, water-rich magma reservoir beneath southern Montserrat. Lithos 252-253: 216-233.
- Stock, M.J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Smith, V.C., Isaia, R. & Pyle, D.M. (2016). Late-stage volatile saturation as a potential trigger for explosive volcanic eruptions. Nature Geoscience 9(3): 249-254.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Brooker, R.A., Fraser, D.G., Burgisser, A., Mangan, M.T. & McCammon, C. (2015). Coupled interactions between volatile activity and Fe oxidation state during arc crustal processes. Journal of Petrology 56(4): 795-814.
- Humphreys, Madeleine C.S., Edmonds, M., Christopher, T. & Hards, V. (2015). Discussion on ‘Magma storage region processes of the Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat’, Geological Society, London, Memoirs, 39, 361-381. Journal of the Geological Society 172(4): 533-539.
- Scott, J.A.J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Mather, T.A., Pyle, D.M. & Stock, M.J. (2015). Insights into the behaviour of S, F, and Cl at Santiaguito Volcano, Guatemala, from apatite and glass. Lithos 232: 375-394.
- Melekhova, E., Blundy, J., Robertson, R. & Humphreys, M.C.S. (2015). Experimental evidence for polybaric differentiation of primitive arc basalt beneath St. Vincent, Lesser Antilles. Journal of Petrology 56(1): 161-192.
- Zhang, J., Davidson, J.P., Humphreys, M.C.S., Macpherson, C.G. & Neill, I. (2015). Magmatic Enclaves and Andesitic Lavas from Mt. Lamington, Papua New Guinea: Implications for Recycling of Earlier-fractionated Minerals through Magma Recharge. Journal of Petrology 56(11): 2223-2256.
- Stock, M.J., Humphreys, M.C.S., Smith, V.C., Johnson, R.D., Pyle, D.M. & EIMF (2015). New constraints on electron-beam induced halogen migration in apatite. American Mineralogist 100(1): 281-293.
- Edmonds, M., Brett, A., Herd, R.A., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Woods, A. (2015). Magnetite-bubble aggregates at mixing interfaces in andesite magma bodies. Geological Society of London Special Publications 410(1): 95-121.
- McIntosh, I.M., Llewellin, E.W., Humphreys, M.C.S., Nichols, A.R.L., Burgisser, A., Schipper, C.I. & Larsen, J.F. (2014). Distribution of dissolved water in magmatic glass records growth and resorption of bubbles. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 401: 1-11.
- Stamper, C.C., Melekhova, E., Blundy, J.D., Arculus, R.J., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Brooker, R.A. (2014). Oxidised phase relations of a primitive basalt from Grenada, Lesser Antilles. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 167(1): 954.
- Namur, Olivier, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S. & Holness, Marian B. (2014). Crystallization of interstitial liquid and latent heat buffering in solidifying gabbros: Skaergaard Intrusion, Greenland. Journal of Petrology 55(7): 1389-1427.
- Plail, M., Edmonds, M., Humphreys, M.C.S., Barclay, J. & Herd, R.A. (2014). Geochemical evidence for relict degassing pathways preserved in andesite. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 386: 21-33.
- Bufe, N. Aaron, Holness, Marian B. & Humphreys, Madeleine C.S. (2014). Contact metamorphism of Precambrian gneiss by the Skaergaard Intrusion. Journal of Petrology 55(8): 1595-1617.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Plail, M., Barclay, J., Parkes, D. & Christopher, T. (2013). A new method to quantify the real supply of mafic components to a hybrid andesite. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 165(1): 191-215.
- Namur, Olivier, Humphreys, Madeleine C. S. & Holness, Marian B. (2013). Lateral Reactive Infiltration in a Vertical Gabbroic Crystal Mush, Skaergaard Intrusion, East Greenland. Journal of Petrology 54(5): 985-1016.
- Holness, M.B., Humphreys, M.C.S., Sides, R., Helz, R. & Tegner, C. (2012). Toward an understanding of disequilibrium dihedral angles in mafic rocks. Journal of Geophysical Research. Solid Earth 117(B6): B06207.
- Humphreys, M.C.S. (2011). Silicate liquid immiscibility within the crystal mush: Evidence from Ti in plagioclase from the Skaergaard Intrusion. Journal of Petrology 52(1): 147-174.
- Holness, M.B., Stripp, G., Humphreys, M.C.S., Veksler, I.V., Nielsen, T.F.D & Tegner, C. (2011). Silicate Liquid Immiscibility within the Crystal Mush: Late-stage Magmatic Microstructures in the Skaergaard Intrusion, East Greenland. Journal of Petrology 52(1): 175-222.
- Humphreys, M.C.S. & Holness, M.B. (2010). Melt-rich segregations in the Skaergaard Marginal Border Series: Tearing of a vertical silicate mush. Lithos 119(3-4): 181-192.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Christopher, T. & Hards, V. (2010). Magma hybridisation and diffusive exchange recorded in heterogeneous glasses from Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Geophysical Research Letters 37: L00E06.
- Edmonds, M., Aiuppa, A., Humphreys, M., Moretti, R., Giudice, G., Martin, R.S., Herd, R.A. & Christopher, T. (2010). Excess volatiles supplied by mingling of mafic magma at an andesite arc volcano. Geochemistry Geophysics Geosystems 11: Q04005.
- Christopher, T., Edmonds, M., Humphreys, M.C.S. & Herd, R.A. (2010). Volcanic gas emissions from Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat 1995-2009, with implications for mafic magma supply and degassing. Geophysical Research Letters 37(19): L00E04.
- Humphreys, Madeleine (2009). Chemical evolution of intercumulus liquid, as recorded in plagioclase overgrowth rims from the Skaergaard Intrusion. Journal of Petrology 50(1): 127-145.
- Humphreys, M.C.S, Christoper, T & Hards, V (2009). Microlite transfer by disaggregation of mafic inclusions following magma mixing at Soufrière Hills Volcano, Montserrat. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 157(5): 609-624.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Edmonds, M., Christopher, T. & Hards, V. (2009). Chlorine variations in the magma of Soufriere Hills Volcano, Montserrat: Insights from Cl in hornblende and melt inclusions. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 73(19): 5693-5708.
- Humphreys. M.C.S, Menand, T, Blundy, J.D & Klimm, K (2008). Magma ascent rates in explosive eruptions:Constraints from H2O diffusion in melt inclusions. Earth and Planetary Science Letters 270(1-2): 25-40.
- Sparks, R.S.J., Folkes, C.B., Humphreys, M.C.S., Barfod, D.N., Clavero, J., Sunagua, M., McNutt, S.R. & Pritchard, M.E. (2008). Uturuncu volcano, Bolivia: Volcanic unrest due to mid-crustal magma intrusion. American Journal of Science 308(6): 727-769.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Blundy, J.D. & Sparks, R.S.J. (2007). Shallow-level decompression crystallisation and deep magma supply at Shiveluch Volcano. Contributions to Mineralogy and Petrology 155(1): 45-61.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Blundy, J.D. & Sparks, R.S.J. (2006). Magma evolution and open-system processes at Shiveluch Volcano: Insights from phenocryst zoning. Journal of Petrology 47(12): 2303-2334.
- Humphreys, M.C.S., Kearns, S.L. & Blundy, J.D. (2006). SIMS investigation of electron-beam damage to hydrous, rhyolitic glasses: Implications for melt inclusion analysis. American Mineralogist 91(4): 667-679.
- Blundy, J., Cashman, K. & Humphreys, M. (2006). Magma heating by decompression-driven crystallization beneath andesite volcanoes. Nature 443(7107): 76-80.
- Dirksen, O., Humphreys, M.C.S., Pletchov, P., Melnik, O., Demyanchuk, Y., Sparks, R.S.J. & Mahony, S. (2006). The 2001-2004 dome-forming eruption of Shiveluch volcano, Kamchatka: Observation, petrological investigation and numerical modelling. Journal of Volcanology and Geothermal Research 155(3-4): 201-226.
- Holness, M.B. & Humphreys, M.C.S. (2003). The Traigh Bhan na Sgurra Sill, Isle of Mull: Flow localization in a major magma conduit. Journal of Petrology 44(11): 1961-1976.