Mr Michael Priestley
|Research student in the School of Education|
|Postgraduate Associate of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing|
Michael’s research interests include the political epidemiology of student mental health and wellbeing. In particular, his research explores how higher education policies impact on student wellbeing.
- Student Research Team and Advisory Member for the Student Mental Health Research Network (SMaRteN)
- Researcher for the University Mental Health Charter.
- Student member on the Charlie Waller Memorial Trust Advisory Board.
- Postgraduate Associate of the Wolfson Research Institute for Health and Wellbeing.
- Editor of the Student Minds Blog.
- Priestley, M., Shao, X., & Dobson, E. (2019). Sick of Study: Student mental ‘illness’ and neoliberal higher education policy. In Imagining Better Education: Conference Proceedings 2018 (183-199)
- Slack, H. R., & Priestley, M. (2023). Online learning and assessment during the Covid-19 pandemic: exploring the impact on undergraduate student well-being. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 48(3), 333-349. https://doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2022.2076804
- Priestley, M., Broglia, E., Hughes, G., & Spanner, L. (2022). Student Perspectives on improving mental health support Services at university. Counselling and Psychotherapy Research, 22(1), 197-206. https://doi.org/10.1002/capr.12391
- Priestley, M., Hall, A., Wilbraham, S. J., Mistry, V., Hughes, G., & Spanner, L. (2022). Student perceptions and proposals for promoting wellbeing through social relationships at university. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 46(9), 1243-1256. https://doi.org/10.1080/0309877x.2022.2061844
- Brewster, L., Jones, E., Priestley, M., Wilbraham, S. J., Spanner, L., & Hughes, G. (2022). ‘Look after the staff and they would look after the students’ cultures of wellbeing and mental health in the university setting. Journal of Further and Higher Education, 46(4), 548-560. https://doi.org/10.1080/0309877x.2021.1986473
- Jones, E., Priestley, M., Brewster, L., Wilbraham, S. J., Hughes, G., & Spanner, L. (2021). Student wellbeing and assessment in higher education: the balancing act. Assessment & Evaluation in Higher Education, 46(3), 438-450. https://doi.org/10.1080/02602938.2020.1782344