Dr Philippa Petts
Associate Professor (Teaching)
SFHEA, PhD, MPhys, CPhys, PGCAP
|Associate Professor (Teaching) in the Department of Physics|
Pippa graduated with an MPhys from the University of York in 2006. She then stayed on to study for a PhD in Experimental Nuclear Structure specialising in gamma-ray spectroscopy within the Nuclear Physics Group. On completion of her post graduate studies, she moved into the nuclear industry working for several years in the area of radiation detection and measurement.
Pippa returned to academia in 2013 to become a Teaching Fellow at Durham University. Subsequently, she became an Assistant Professor of Physics (Education) and was then promoted to Associate Professor (Education). She has an interest in all areas of physics teaching and learning and more generally the scholarship of teaching and learning (SoTL) in STEM disciplines. Recently, she has a particular focus on the use of learning technologies including Artificial Intelligence, Augmented and Virtual Reality (AR/VR) and laboratory teaching methods. She is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy (SFHEA) and holds a Postgraduate Certificate in Academic Practice (PGCAP). Pippa is Head of Section of the Physics Education and Scholarship group (PhES) and regularly works on STEM related pedagogy, research and innovation. She also maintains a connection with the nuclear industry, frequently working on collaborative projects with industrial partners.
- Nuclear Physics
- Physics Pedagogy
- Laboratory teaching methods
- Augmented Reality
- Virtual Reality
- 2021: Durham University Teaching and Learning Awards: Shortlisted for the 2021 Teaching and Learning Awards.
- 2021: External Examiner: University of Hull (4 year appointment, 2021- present)
- 2020: Durham Women Making a Difference: I was named as a Durham Women Making a Difference at the 2020 awards to coincide with International Women's Day.
- 2000: Professional Memberships: Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academcy (SFHEA) and member of the Society for Research in Higher Education (SRHE). I am a member of the Institute of Physics (MInstP) and became a Chartered Physicist (CPhys) in 2019.
- Petts, P. L., Swift, G. P., & Nightingale, S. C. (2021). Evaluation of Student Understanding of Uncertainty in Level 1 Undergraduate Physics Laboratories. In 10th International Conference New Perspectives in Science Education (413-419)
- Clement, E., Gorgen, A., Dijon, A., de France, G., Bastin, B., Blazhev, A., …De Witte, H. (2014). Onset of collectivity in Sr-96,Sr-98 studied via Coulomb excitation. In S. Lunardi, P. Bizzeti, S. Kabana, C. Bucci, M. Chiari, A. Dainese, …J. ValienteDobon (Eds.), . https://doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/20146602021
- Clement, E., Goergen, A., Dijon, A., de France, G., Bastin, B., Blazhev, A., …De Witte, H. (2013). Onset of collectivity in neutron-rich Sr and Kr isotopes: Prompt spectroscopy after Coulomb excitation at REX-ISOLDE, CERN. In A. Chatillon, F. Farget, H. Faust, G. Fioni, D. Goutte, & H. Goutte (Eds.), . https://doi.org/10.1051/epjconf/20136201003
- Lebhertz, D., Courtin, S., Haas, F., Salsac, M. -., Beck, C., Michalon, A., …Pearson, J. (2009). Radiative Capture Process at the Coulomb Barrier: the Resonant C-12+O-16 Case. In M. Milin, T. Niksic, D. Vretenar, & S. Szilner (Eds.),
- Lebhertz, D., Courtin, S., Haas, F., Salsac, M. -., Beck, C., Michalon, A., …Pearson, J. (2009). New decay branches of the radiative capture reaction C-12(O-16,gamma)Si-28. In A. Blazhev, J. Jolie, N. Warr, & A. Zilges (Eds.),
- Courtin, S., Lebhertz, D., Haas, F., Beek, C., Hutcheon, D., Jenkins, D., …Salsac, M. -. (2009). A New Decay Path in the C-12+O-16 Radiative Capture Reaction. In K. E. Rehm, B. B. Back, H. Esbensen, & C. J. Lister (Eds.),
- Petts, A., Butler, P., Grahn, T., Blazhev, A., Bree, N., Bruyneel, B., …Zielinska, M. (2009). Lifetime Measurements and Coulomb Excitation of Light Hg Nuclei. In A. Blazhev, J. Jolie, N. Warr, & A. Zilges (Eds.),
- Wrzosek-Lipska, K., Rezynkina, K., Bree, N., Zielinska, M., Gaffney, L., Petts, A., …Wood, J. (2019). Electromagnetic properties of low-lying states in neutron-deficient Hg isotopes: Coulomb excitation of Hg-182, Hg-184, Hg-186 and Hg-188. https://doi.org/10.1140/epja/i2019-12815-2
- Clement, E., Zielinska, M., Peru, S., Goutte, H., Hilaire, S., Gorgen, A., …Wrzosek-Lipska, K. (2016). Low-energy Coulomb excitation of Sr-96,Sr-98 beams. Physical Review C, 94(5), Article 054326. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevc.94.054326
- Clement, E., Zielinska, M., Gorgen, A., Korten, W., Peru, S., Libert, J., …Wrzosek-Lipska, K. (2016). Spectroscopic Quadrupole Moments in Sr-96,Sr-98: Evidence for Shape Coexistence in Neutron-Rich Strontium Isotopes at N=60. Physical Review Letters, 116(2), Article 022701. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.116.022701
- Clement, E., Zielinska, M., Gorgen, A., Korten, W., Peru, S., Libert, J., …Wrzosek-Lipska, K. (2016). Spectroscopic Quadrupole Moments in Sr-96,Sr-98: Evidence for Shape Coexistence in Neutron-Rich Strontium Isotopes at N = 60 (vol 116, 022701, 2016). Physical Review Letters, 117(9), Article 099902. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.117.099902
- Bree, N., Wrzosek-Lipska, K., Petts, A., Andreyev, A., Bastin, B., Bender, M., …Zielinska, M. (2014). Shape Coexistence in the Neutron- Deficient Even-Even Hg182-188 Isotopes Studied via Coulomb Excitation. Physical Review Letters, 112(16), Article 162701. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevlett.112.162701
- Lebhertz, D., Courtin, S., Haas, F., Jenkins, D., Simenel, C., Salsac, M. -., …Ruiz, C. (2012). C-12(O-16,gamma)Si-28 radiative capture: Structural and statistical aspects of the gamma decay. Physical Review C, 85(3), Article 034333. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevc.85.034333
- Bauer, C., Behrens, T., Bildstein, V., Blazhev, A., Bruyneel, B., Butterworth, J., …Wiens, A. (2012). Prolate shape of Ba-140 from a first combined Doppler-shift and Coulomb-excitation measurement at the REX-ISOLDE facility. Physical Review C, 86(3), Article 034310. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevc.86.034310
- Marley, P., Jenkins, D., Davies, P., Robinson, A., Wadsworth, R., Lister, C., …O'Donnell, D. (2011). High-resolution spectroscopy of decay pathways in the C-12(C-12,gamma) reaction. Physical Review C, 84(4), Article 044332. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevc.84.044332
- Robinson, A., Khoo, T., Seweryniak, D., Ahmad, I., Asai, M., Back, B., …Zhu, S. (2011). Search for a 2-quasiparticle high-K isomer in (256)Rf. Physical Review C, 83(6), Article 064311. https://doi.org/10.1103/physrevc.83.064311
- Seweryniak, D., Khoo, T., Ahmad, I., Kondev, F., Robinsou, A., Tandel, S., …Zhu, S. (2010). Bridging the nuclear structure gap between stable and super heavy nuclei. Nuclear Physics A, 834(1-4), 357C-361C. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.nuclphysa.2010.01.039
- Marley, P., Jenkins, D., Pattabiraman, N., Robinson, A., Wadsworth, R., Courtin, S., …O'Donnell, D. (2008). HEAVY ION RADIATIVE CAPTURE OF C-12+C-12. International Journal of Modern Physics E, 17(10), 2040-2043. https://doi.org/10.1142/s0218301308011057
- Lebhertz, D., Courtin, S., Haas, F., Salsac, M. -., Beck, C., Michalon, A., …Pearson, J. (2008). RESONANT RADIATIVE CAPTURE AND MOLECULAR STATES IN Mg-24 AND Si-28. https://doi.org/10.1142/s0218301308011069
- Jenkins, D., Fulton, B., Marley, P., Fox, S., Glover, R., Wadsworth, R., …Moon, S. (2007). Decay strength distributions in C-12(C-12,gamma) radiative capture. Physical Review C, 76(4),