|Associate Professor of International Law in the Durham Law School|
|Member of Durham CELLS (Centre for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences)|
|Fellow in the Durham Energy Institute|
Dr Petra Minnerop is the Academic Lead of Durham University for COP 26 and the Co-Director of the Global Policy Institute as well as CO-Director of the Research Centre Global Law and Justice. She is the Principle Investigator of an ESRC IAA funded project on Building capacity to enhancing compliance - (domestic legal) implementation of the Paris Agreement and Co-investigator of the COP26 International Climate Change Network Grant, funded by the Royal Society of Edinburgh. She is also Principle Investigator of a project on Challenges to a Sustainable Recovery: International Law, Climate Change and Public Health, funded by the Society of Legal Scholars, a project that encompasses an international conference that was held as a hybrid event in September 2021 and the publication of a Special Issue of Global Policy with the contributions of speakers (forthcoming 2022).
Petra is the Principal Investigator of a BEIS/Energy Transition project on Legal Support for Raising Ambition under the Paris Agreement that is funded through the Rockefeller foundation (£61,644.75). The project supports developing countries in the development of their domestic legal frameworks under the Paris Agreement.
In the run up to COP26, she co-organises with Prof Oral and Prof Voigt the monthly lecture series on The Road to COP 26/CMA 3 Preparatory Lectures, for more information and to register please visit: https://www.durham.ac.uk/media/durham-university/departments-/law-school/news-and-events/The-Road-to-COP-26-Preparatory-Lecture-Series-(Updates).pdf
Her research interests are international and transnational law, the role of law in protecting global goods and the science/law intersection. Her scholarship encompasses the international, transnational and national perspective of climate law, and the intersection of law and science. Petra is also working on ‘Brexit’ related issues from a distinct international law perspective, in particular, the protection of EU citizenship under general international law and human rights law.
Petra joined Durham Law School as Associate Professor of International Law in September 2020. Prior to that, she has held academic positions as lecturer at the Universities of Dundee, Munich and Göttingen, and worked as Senior Research Fellow at the Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg, and at the Max Planck Foundation for International Peace and the Rule of Law, Heidelberg. Petra is a member of the Bar (Germany). She studied at the Universities of Göttingen and Newcastle-upon-Tyne and holds a PhD in international law, completed under the supervision of Professor Georg Nolte (summa cum laude), awarded with the prize for the best PhD thesis by the University of Göttingen. Petra worked for the German Foreign Office, Berlin, and for the Permanent Representative of Germany to the United Nations, New York. She has given advice to the German Federal Environmental Agency on liability in international environmental law and to the European Parliament on EU citizenship post ‘Brexit’. She regularly works as an expert reviewer for the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC), currently for the Sixth Assessment Report.
Petra is a Visiting Professor at the China University of Political Science and Law (CUPL), Beijing. She serves as a member of the editorial board of the book series Global Energy Law and Policy (Hart publishing). Petra is a Senior Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.
She is a member of the World Commission on Environmental Law (WCEL), a member of Society of Legal Scholars, the Women’s Climate and Energy Law Network WCELN, the European Society of International Law Since and the American Society of International Law. Petra is a member of the Scottish Parliament Framework Agreement for the Provision of Research Services in Relation to Covid-19.
Petra is the founder of IRAB, an international research advisory board that provides needs-based and research-led capacity building for partner countries in the Global South on the basis of trans-disciplinary research and academic partnerships. A link to the website is available here https://www.irab.co.uk/
Public International Law
International Law on Climate Change
Public International Law
International Law on Climate Change
UN Human Rights Law
Global Human Rights Law
Law of the European Union
Legal Research Skills
English Law of Equity and Trusts
Petra has published widely on liability in international environmental law, climate protection agreements, human rights law, the classification/status of states under international law and on EU citizenship. Petra has co-edited several books and edited a special thematic Volume of the Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law on International Law of Development with Rüdiger Wolfrum and Frauke Lachenmann, published in 2019, with Oxford University Press. Her current interdisciplinary research project focuses on climate change law, human rights law and attribution science, in close collaboration with Friederike Otto and Rupert Stuart-Smith. She works on re-thinking and applying legal concepts in the light of attribution science.
She is also working on issues of EU citizenship and mitigating the consequences of ‘Brexit’ through international law and is one of the co-authors of the report on The Feasibility of Associate EU Citizenship for UK Citizens post-Brexit, funded by the European Parliament. She is now editing a book on EU Citizenship as institutionalised Membership with Volker Roeben and Jukka Snell, under contract with Oxford University Press, forthcoming 2021.
2021: Key Note Speech for County Durham Partnerships (DCP), Annual Event of DCP
2021: Climate Risk Summit, COP26 Universities Network, Presentation on 'Attributon Sciene in the Law' during the Opening Panel on 'Risks and Attribution of Extremes'
2021: Global Climate and Health Alliance: Care4Climate Webinar, presentation on 'Health and Climate Change as Legal & Economic Issues'
2021: Presentation to Plenary during the SLS Annual Conference, on 'Law Schools in the context of climate change and pandemics'.
2021: ClimateExpo (COP 26 Universities Network Conference) ‘Defining success at COP26 / CMA 3 and wrapping up outstanding issues of the Paris Rulebook’
2021: The Paris Agreement Rulebook: Adding the Glasgow Chapter to the Katowice Climate Package’, Road to COP 26 Preparatory Lecture Series (co-organised by Nilufer Oral CIL/NUS, Petra Minnerop Durham Law School and Christina Voigt IUCN/WCEL)
2021: Presentation on 'Regional and Legal Perspectives (focusing on the role of legal and regulatory instruments', part of roundtable on 'Just and Healthy Transition', Academy of Medical Sciences and Royal Society project on climate change and health.
2021: Presentation on 'The Role of International Law on Climate Change and the function of the Meeting of Parties under the Paris Agreement', Conference on 'The Transition to Net-Zero in the North of England', Durham Energy Institute Joint Conference with North of England Institute of Mining and Mechanical Engineers
2020: Guest Lecture, Chapman University Fowler School of Law, USA, 'Climate Change Causation. (Some European) Litigation and the quest for a coherent causal analysis'
2019: Presentation to School of Life Sciences, University of Dundee, ‘Climate Change and the Law’
2019: Principal Investigator of conference project and convenor of the 1st interdisciplinary international Dundee Climate Conference with integrated masterclass, ‘Elements of a ‘European’, ‘International’, ‘Global’ Climate Consensus after Paris?’, funded by the Society of Legal Scholars (SLS), Presentation on ‘Elements of a European Consensus under the European Convention on Human Rights’
See the following links for media/press for the Dundee Climate Conference:
2019: Annual Conference of the Society of Legal Scholars, Preston, presentation on ‘The “European Consensus” – a safety net for climate action under the European Convention on Human Rights’
2019: Third Dundee Energy Forum, Dundee, presentation on ‘Making law in CMA decisions: benefits, risks and potential of taking the Paris Agreement forward’
2018: ISSR Forum, School of Social Sciences, Discovery Centre Dundee, Dundee, presentation on ‘International law on nationality, citizenship and continuity’
2018: Swansea University and Morgan Academy, Swansea, co-convenor (with Prof Volker Röben, Prof Jukka Snell) workshop on ‘Union citizenship in the time of Brexit’, presentation on ‘International Law and continuity of EU Citizenship’
2017: European Parliament and Article 50 task force of the European Commission, Brussels, presentation of Research Report on ‘The Feasibility of Associate Union Citizenship post-Brexit’
2005: Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg, Convenor and speaker, international conference on ‘International Environmental Law’, presentation on ‘Elements of Coherency in the Conception of International Environmental Liability Law’, Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg
2003: Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg, co-convenor (with Silja Vöneky, Volker Röben, Christian Walter) and speaker, conference on ‘Terrorism as a Challenge for National and International Law: Security versus Liberty?’, presentation on ‘Legal Status of State Sponsors of Terrorism in US Law’
September 2021- May 2022: Principal Investigator for Legal Support for Enhancing Ambition under the Paris Agreement, funded by the Rockefeler Foundation & Energy Transition Council (£61,644)
2021: Principal Investigator for ESRC IAA funded grant on Building Capacity to Enhancing Compliance with (domestic legal) Implementation of the Paris Agreement (£14,656.64).
2021: Co-Investigator, The Extractives Hub and International Research Advisory Board, Royal Society of Edinburgh (£12,613).
2019: Additional Funding from Research and Innovation Services, University of Dundee for Dundee Climate Conference
2019: Research Fellow, funded by the European Commission (£2,000) Max Planck Institute for Comparative Public Law and International Law, Heidelberg
2018: Co-Investigator, Workshop on Union Citizenship in the time of Brexit, co-funded by the European Parliament and the Morgan Academy, Swansea (£10,000).
2016-2017: Co-Investigator, European Parliament, project on The Feasibility of Associate Union Citizenship post-Brexit (£15,000).
- Public International Law
- International Law on Climate Change
- International Environmental Law
- Intersection of Science and Climate Law and Policy
- Human Rights Law
- Citizenship Rights in International and EU Law
- Centre for Ethics and Law in the Life Sciences
- 2021: Article in Nature on interdisciplinary research with Fredi Otto and Rupert Stuart-Smith:
- 2021: Article on climate science and law in Scientific American:
- 2021: Best science in courts, Irish Legal News:
- 2021: Climate change and litigation, Rinnovabili (in Italian):
- 2021: Climate Change in the Courts, article in New Scientist:
- 2021: Climate science and law, UPI:
- 2021: Climate science in courts:
- 2021: Climate Science in courts, Anthropocene Magazine:
- 2021: Climate science in courts, Cumhuriyet (in Turkish):
- 2021: Climate science in courts, Infobae (in Spanish):
- 2021: Climate Science in litigation, in Polish:
- 2021: Coverage in BBC on climate science in courts:
- 2021: Coverage of interdisciplinary work on climate litigation in CarbonBrief:
- 2021: Guardian Article on causation and attribution study:
- 2021: Legal Action against emitters, DeSmog.com:
- 2021: Science and law in the courts, EcoDebate (in Portuguese):
- 2020: Law School Academic Achievement Award:
- 2004: Prize for the best PhD thesis, University of Göttingen:
- Minnerop, Petra (2012). Paria-Staaten im Voelkerrecht? (Paria States in International Law?). Springer.
- Minnerop, Petra (2004). Paria-Staaten im Voelkerrecht? (Pariah States in International Law?). Springer.
Chapter in book
- Minnerop, Petra (2021). Article VIII WTO Agreement, Status of the WTO. In Institutions and Dispute Settlement. Stoll, Peter T. & Hestermeyer, Holger Brill Academic Publishers.
- Minnerop, Petra (2020). The Legal Effect of the ‘Paris Rulebook’ under the Doctrine of Treaty Interpretation. In Global Energy in Transition: Towards rules-based multilateral governance of generation, markets and investment. Cameron, Peter Mu, Xiaoyi & Roeben, Volker
- Minnerop, Petra (2019). Climate Protection Agreements. In International Development Law: The Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law. Minnerop, Petra, Wolfrum, Ruediger & Lachenmann, Frauke Oxford University Press. 205-215 (and online OPIL.ouplaw.com).
- Minnerop, Petra & Roht-Ariaza, Naomi (2019). Solidarity Rights in Development, Peace, Environment and Humanitarian Assistance. In International Law of Development. Minnerop, Petra, Wolfrum, Ruediger & Lachenmann, Frauke Oxford University Press. 3: 825-837 (and online OPIL.ouplaw.com).
- Minnerop, Petra (2018). Climate Protection Agreements. In Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law, online. Minnerop, Petra, Wolfrum Ruediger & Lachenmann, Frauke Oxford University Press. e2207.
- Minnerop, Petra & Roht-Ariaza, Naomi (2018). Solidarity Rights in Development, Peace, Environment, and Humanitarian Assistance. In Max Planck Encyclopedia of Public International Law. Minnerop, Petra, Wolfrum, Ruediger & Lachenmann, Frauke Oxford University Press, online. e1470.
- Minnerop, Petra (2006). Article VIII WTO Agreement. In Agreement Establishing the World Trade Organization. Wolfrum, Ruediger, Stoll, Peter T. & Kaiser, Karen Kluwer: The Hague. 1.
- Minnerop, Petra (2005). European Community Law. In Environmental Liability in International Law - Towards a Coherent Conception. Wolfrum, Ruediger,, Langenfeld, Christine & Minnerop, Petra Erich Schmidt: Berlin. 159-210.
- Minnerop, Petra (2005). Supplementary State Liability in European Law. In Environmental Liability in International Law - Towards a Coherent Conception. Wolfrum, Ruediger, Langenfeld, Christine & Minnerop, Petra Erich Schmidt, Berlin. 211-222.
- Minnerop, Petra & Wolfrum, Ruediger (2005). Elements of Coherency in the conception of International Environmental Liability Law. In Environmental Liability in International Law - Towards a Coherent Conception. Wolfrum, Ruediger, Langenfeld, Christine & Minnerop, Petra Erich Schmidt. 495-512.
- Minnerop, Petra & Langenfeld, Christine (2005). Environmental Liability Provisions in International Law. In Environmental Liability in International Law - Towards a Coherent Conception. Wolfrum, Ruediger, Langenfeld, Christine & Minnerop, Petra Erich Schmidt. 159-210.
- Minnerop, Petra (2004). Legal Status of State Sponsors of Terrorism in US Law. In Walter, Christian, Roeben, Volker & Voeneky, Silja Springer: Berlin 2004. 733-786.
- Minnerop, Petra, Roeben, Volker & Snell, Jukka (2021). EU Citizenship as Institutional Membership. Oxford University Press.
- Minnerop, Petra Wolfrum, Ruediger & Lachenmann, Frauke (2019). Internal Development Law. Oxford University Press.
- Oellers-Frahm, Karin, Minnerop, Petra, Schorkopf, Frank & Walter, Christian (2008). World Court Digest 2001-2005. Kluwer, Berlin.
- Wolfrum, Ruediger, Langenfeld, Christine & Minnerop, Petra (2005). Environmental Liability in International Law - Towards a Coherent Conception?. Erich Schmidt: Berlin 2005.
- Stuart-Smith, Rupert F., Otto, Friederike E.L., Saad, Aisha I., Lisi, Gaia, Minnerop, Petra, Cedervall, Kristian, van Zwieten, Kristin & Wetzer, Thom (2021). Filling the evidentiary gap in climate litigation. Nature Climate Change
- Minnerop, Petra & Rostgaard, Ida (2021). In Search of a Fair Share: Article 112 Norwegian Constitution, International Law and an Emerging Inter-Jurisdictional Discourse in Climate Litigation. Fordham International Law Journal 44.
- Minnerop, Petra & Otto, Friederike EL (2020). Climate Change and Causation: Joining Law and Climate Science on the basis of Formal Logic. Buffalo Environmental Law Journal 27: 49-86.
- Minnerop, Petra (2020). The First German Climate Case. Environmental Law Review 22: 215-226.
- Minnerop, Petra (2019). Integrating the ‘duty of care’ under the European Convention on Human Rights and the science and law of climate change: the decision of the Hague Court of Appeal in the Urgenda case. Journal of Energy and Natural Resources Law 37: 450-474.
- Roeben, Volker, Minnerop, Petra, Snell, Jukka & Telles, Pedro (2018). Revisiting Union Citizenship from a Fundamental Rights perspective in the time of Brexit. European Human Rights Law Review 5: 450-473.
- Minnerop, Petra (2018). Taking the Paris Agreement forward: Continuous strategic decision-making on Climate Action by the Meeting of the Parties. Max Planck Yearbook of United Nations Law 21: 124-167.
- Minnerop, Petra & Roeben, Volker (2018). Continuity as the rule, not the exception: How the Vienna Convention on the Law of Treaties protects against retroactivity of ‘Brexit’. European Human Rights Law Review 5: 474-489.
- Minnerop, Petra (2018). Taking the Paris Agreement Forward: Continuous Strategic Decision-making on Climate Action by the Meeting of the Parties. Max Planck Yearbook of United Nations Law Online 21(1): 124.
- Minnerop, Petra & Schorkopf, Frank (2004). The German University Reform. The Annual of German & European Law 1.
- Minnerop, Petra (2004). German Constitutional Law Cases. European Public Law 10: 221-236.
- Minnerop, Petra (2003). The Classification of States and the Creation of Status within the International Community. Max Planck Yearbook of United Nations Law 7: 79-182.
- Minnerop, Petra (2002). Rogue States - States Sponsoring Terrorism. German Law Journal
- Minnerop, Petra (2001). German Constitutional Law Cases (2001). European Public Law 7: 549-563.
- Roeben, Volker, Snell, Jukka, Minnerop, Petra, Telles, Pedro & Bush, Keith (2017). The Feasibility of Associate EU Citizenship for UK Citizens Post-Brexit.