|Faculty Librarian (Arts) in the University Library and Collections|
|Member of the Centre for Visual Arts and Culture|
|Member of the Institute of Medieval and Early Modern Studies|
Richard is the Faculty Librarian for Arts and Humanities. He advises departments in the Faculty on the acquisition and management of print and electronic information and teaches research skills to postgraduates and undergraduates.
Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
Fellow of the Society of Antiquaries of London
President of the Society of Antiquaries of Newcastle upon Tyne 2016-19
Member of the Great North Museum library committee
- Pears, R., & Shields, G. (2022). Cite Them Right: The Essential Referencing Guide. (12th edition). London: Bloomsbury
- Pears, R., & Shields, G. (2019). Cite Them Right: The Essential Referencing Guide. (11th). Red Globe Press
- Pears, R., & Purdue, A. (2017). The Custom House, Newcastle upon Tyne. Robson Print Ltd
- Pears, R., & Shields, G. (2016). Cite them right: the essential referencing guide. (10th ed.). Palgrave Macmillan
- Pears, R., & Saunders, B. (2016). Looking Back at Whickham. Summerhill Books
Chapter in book
- Eighteenth Century. In D. Rollason (Ed.), Princes of the Church: Bishops and Their Palaces (615-641). Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315229553
- Pears, R. (in press). Auckland and Durham Castles in the Eighteenth Century.
- Pears, R. (2010). It's not about the commas: why referencing really matters.
- Balfour, M., & Pears, R. (2006). Student evaluation of two information literacy packages: Skills Plus and MOSAIC.
- Pears, R. (2006). 'Cite them right': Developing students' citation skills.
- Pears, R., & Atherton, B. (in press). Anderson Place, Newcastle upon Tyne. Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th series(44), 175-224
- Pears, R. (2022). Margaret Farrington: Sociability and Sanity in Georgian England. Northern History, 59(2), 194-215. https://doi.org/10.1080/0078172x.2022.2116743
- Casselden, B., & Pears, R. (2020). Higher Education student pathways to ebook usage and engagement, and understanding: Highways and cul de sacs. Journal of Librarianship and Information Science, 52(2), 601-619. https://doi.org/10.1177/0961000619841429
- Pears, R. (2019). Hebburn Hall, South Tyneside. Durham archaeological journal, 21,
- Pears, R. (2019). Bishop Tunstall’s Alterations to Durham Castle, 1536-1548. Antiquaries Journal, 99, https://doi.org/10.1017/s0003581519000064
- Pears, R. (2019). A Council at War: Whickham Urban District Council 1939-45. Northern History, 56(1-2), 117-137. https://doi.org/10.1080/0078172x.2019.1660065
- Pears, R., & Purdue, A. (2018). The Custom House, Quayside, Newcastle upon Tyne. Archaeologia Aeliana, 47,
- Pears, R. (2018). A Villa at the Coast: Newton Hall, Newton-by-the-Sea, Northumberland. Georgian Group journal, XXVI, 103-120
- Pears, R. (2017). An Observation Tower on Newcastle Quayside. Archaeologia Aeliana, 5th Series(45), 145-158
- Pears, R. (2016). Building Howick Hall, Northumberland. Georgian Group journal, XXIV, 117-134
- Pears, R. (2014). Building developments at Durham University Library. SCONUL focus, 58,
- Newcastle upon Tyne
- Pears, R., & Hewlings, R. (2014). Capheaton Hall in the Eighteenth Century. Georgian Group journal, XXII, 125-144
- Pears, R. (2012). Battle of the Styles? Classical and Gothic Architecture in Seventeenth-Century North-East England. Architectural History, 55, 79-109
- Heading, D., Simonson, N., Purcell, C., & Pears, R. (2010). Finding and Managing Information: Generic information literacy and management skills for postgraduate researchers. International journal for researcher development, 1(3), https://doi.org/10.1108/1759751x201100016
- Pears, R. (2010). The Architectural Development of Blagdon Hall, Northumberland. Architectural History, 53, 77-98
- Pears, R. (2008). Two castles by William Newton. Georgian Group journal, XVI, 132-140
- Pears, R. (2018, December). Architectural Standards at Alnwick Castle: an incident in the creation of a profession. Paper presented at Northern Architectural History Society, Newcastle University
- Pears, R. (2014, December). Rebooting Referencing: Tools, Tech and Twinkle. Paper presented at CILIP ARLG Symposium, Cambridge University
- Pears, R. (2023, July). ‘Temples of Knowledge: The Classical Architecture of Public Libraries and Mechanics Institutes’. Paper presented at Classical Presences in North-East England, St Chad's College, Durham University
- Pears, R. (2014, September). ‘The Architecture of Eighteenth-Century Newcastle’. Paper presented at North East Forum in Eighteenth-Century and Romantic Studies, Literary and Philosophical Society of Newcastle upon Tyne