|Professor in the School of Modern Languages and Cultures||A26, Elvet Riverside I||+44 (0) 191 33 44663|
|Member of the Centre for Intercultural Mediation||+44 (0) 191 33 44663|
I hold a PhD in linguistics (2000, Moscow State University) and a PhD in Translation Studies (2009, School of translation and interpretation, University of Ottawa).
I have conducted research in translation studies, especially in the sociology of translation and the epistemology of translation studies. I have also studied lexicography and a number of aspects of Russian language and culture.
More specifically, my primary academic interest is translation as a social activity. I have applied several sociological theories (notably, Luhmann’s social systems theory, Bourdieu’s theory of social fields and Habermas’ theory of communicative action) to various aspects of the translation history of Kievan Rus, Muscovy and Russia. I have studied the social role of translation in the westernization of Russia in the eighteenth century (my research has been published as a monograph), the role women-translators played in the Russian history of translation; I published on the aspects of gender and sexuality as they manifested themselves in the Russian translation history, etc.
I am the Director of the MA in Translation and Russian Studies at the School of Modern Languages and Cultures, Durham University, UK. I teach courses in translation theory, translation history and sociology of translation as well as contribute to the specialised English-Russian translation module.
For more information please see my website www.tyulenev.org.
- Tyulenev, S. (in press). Перевод как инструмент стилистического анализа художественного произведения : (Прагмастилист. аспект) [Translation as a Means of Stylistic Analysis of the Literary Work of Art.]. Gotika
- Translation in Society. Routledge
- Tyulenev, S. (in press). Теория перевода [Translation Theory]. Gardariki
- Tyulenev, S. (2018). Translation in the Public Sphere. Palgrave Pivot. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-78358-1
- Tyulenev, S. (2014). Translation and Society: An Introduction. Routledge
- Tyulenev, S. (2014). Translation and Society. Routledge
- Tyulenev, S. (2012). Translation and the Westernization of Eighteenth-Century Russia. Frank & Timme GmbH
- Tyulenev, S. (2011). Applying Luhmann to Translation Studies: Translation in Society. Routledge
- Tyulenev, S. (2004). Теория перевода [Theory of Translation]. Gardariki
- Tyulenev, S. (2000). Перевод как инструмент стилистического анализа художественного произведения [Translation as a Means of Stylistic Analysis of the Literary Work of Art]. Gotika
Chapter in book
- Tyulenev, S. (2017). Speaking Silence and Silencing Speech: The Translations of Grand Duke Konstantin Romanov as Queer Writing. In B. Baer, & K. Kaindl (Eds.), Queering Translation, Translating the Queer: Theory, Practice, Activism (112-129). Routledge. https://doi.org/10.4324/9781315505978-9
- Tyulenev, S. (2015). Translation and Agency. In C. V. Angelelli, & B. J. Baer (Eds.), Researching translation and interpreting (17-31). Routledge
- Tyulenev, S. (2013). Social Systems and Translation. In Y. Gambier, & L. van Doorslaer (Eds.), Handbook of translation studies (160-166). John Benjamins Publishing. https://doi.org/10.1075/hts.4.soc4
- Tyulenev, S. (2012). Systematics and Lifeworld of Translation. In L. Foran (Ed.), Translation and Philosophy (139-155). Peter Lang
- Tyulenev, S. (2010). Modernization as Translation: Eighteenth-Century Russia. In T. Naaijkens (Ed.), Event or Incident = Evénement ou Incident; On the Role of Translation in the Dynamics of Cultural Exchange = Du rôle des traductions dans les processus d’échanges culturels (15-28). Peter Lang
- Tyulenev, S. (2010). Translation as Smuggling. In J. St André (Ed.), Thinking through Translation with Metaphors (241-274). St Jerome Publishing
- Tyulenev, S. (2023). Translation as meaning negotiator. Translation Studies, https://doi.org/10.1080/14781700.2023.2208137
- Tyulenev, S. (2022). Translation and Diplomacy: The Ins and Outs of Social-Systemic Boundaries. Diplomacy and Statecraft, 33(3), 589-604. https://doi.org/10.1080/09592296.2022.2113261
- Tyulenev, S. (2021). In a wilderness of mirrors: the ethics of translation in Cold-War espionage. The Translator, 27(4), 368-383. https://doi.org/10.1080/13556509.2021.1992892
- Tyulenev, S. (2021). Translation and (Counter-)Intelligence: The Interpenetration of Social-Systemic Boundary Phenomena. Perspectives, 29(3), 339-353. https://doi.org/10.1080/0907676x.2020.1726977
- Tyulenev, S., & Zheng, B. (2017). Introduction: Towards the Comparative Studies of Translation and Interpreting. Translation and Interpreting Studies: The Journal of the American Translation and Interpreting Studies Association, 12(2), 197-212. https://doi.org/10.1075/tis.12.2.01tyu
- Tyulenev, S., Zheng, B., & Johnson, P. (2017). A Comparative Study of Translation/ Interpreting as a Profession in Russia, China and Spain. Translation and Interpreting Studies: The Journal of the American Translation and Interpreting Studies Association, 12(2), 332-354. https://doi.org/10.1075/tis.12.2.07tyu
- Tyulenev, S. (2016). Vsemirnaia Literatura: intersections between translating and original literary writing. Slavic and East European journal, 60(1), 8-21
- Tyulenev, S. (2016). A systemic centenary of Russian poetic translation. Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies, 3(2), 123-145. https://doi.org/10.1080/23306343.2016.1184499
- Tyulenev, S. (2015). Resolving the Paradox of the Enlightenment. Žurnal Sibirskogo federalʹnogo universiteta. Seriâ Gumanitarnye nauki Журнал Сибирского федерального университета. Серия Гуманитарные науки (Online), 8(2), 308-328. https://doi.org/10.17516/1997-1370-2015-8-2-308-328
- Tyulenev, S. (2015). Towards Theorising Translation as an Occupation. Asia Pacific Translation and Intercultural Studies, 2(1), 15-29. https://doi.org/10.1080/23306343.2015.1013206
- Tyulenev, S. (2014). Strategies of Translating Sexualities as Part of the Secularization of Eighteenth- and Early Nineteenth-Century Russia. Comparative Literature Studies, 51(2), 253-276. https://doi.org/10.5325/complitstudies.51.2.0253
- Tyulenev, S. (2014). Translation as a Social Fact. Translation and Interpreting Studies: The Journal of the American Translation and Interpreting Studies Association, 9(2), 179-196. https://doi.org/10.1075/tis.9.2.01tyu
- Tyulenev, S. (2013). Translating in the public sphere: Birth pangs of a developing democracy in today's Russia. Southern African Linguistics and Applied Language Studies, 31(4), 469-479. https://doi.org/10.2989/16073614.2013.864443
- Tyulenev, S. (2012). Across the Cross: Translation, Transgression, War
- Tyulenev, S. (2011). Women-Translators in Russia
- Tyulenev, S. (2011). Translation as a Factor of Social Telenomy
- Tyulenev, S. (2010). Through the Eye of the Needle of the Most Proletarian Language
- Tyulenev, S. (2010). Is Translation an Autopoietic System?
- Tyulenev, S. (2010). Translation in Intersystemic Interaction: A Case Study of Eighteenth-Century Russia
- Tyulenev, S. (2009). Why (Not) Luhmann?, or On Applicability of Social Systems Theory to Translation Studies. Translation Studies, 2(2), 147-162. https://doi.org/10.1080/14781700902937706
- Tyulenev, S. (2009). The Meaning Constituting Function of Translation
- Tyulenev, S. (2007). History of Translation, Social History, and History of Literature: Agon and Synergy at Cross-roads