|Assistant Professor in the Study of Religion in the Department of Theology and Religion||Dun Cow Cottage 205||+44 (0) 191 33 43965|
I am an anthropologist and specialise in the study of religion. My research to date has focused on the study of Christianity in postcolonial contexts. I have done long term fieldwork in the Republic of Benin, where focused on the study of Pentecostalism, and in the Huasteca region of Mexico where I studied an indigenous (Nahua) Catholic prophetic/millenarian movement.
My current research interests involve the study of religious colonial entanglements in secularised contexts. In particular, I am interested in exploring the incorporation of non-Western spiritual traditions into somatic therapeutic approaches that seek to address the inter-generational transmission of embodied memory and trauma, as well as other aspects of mental health and well-being. I teach modules on the study of religion in Latin America and Africa and ethnographic methods in the study of religion.
- Anthropology of Religion
- Latin America
- Fieldwork: Benin Republic; Mexico
- Colonial religious entanglements
- Quiroz Uria, S. (2008). Evangelizacion o fanatismo en la Huasteca?. El caso de Amalia Bautista Hernandez. CIESAS, COLSAN
Chapter in book
- Miles-Watson, J., & Quiroz, S. (2022). From the Gods' Mountains to the Messiah's Glade: Christian Landscapes of Africa and Asia. In J. Bielo, & A. Ron (Eds.), Landscapes of Christianity: Destination, Temporality, Transformation. Bloomsbury Academic
- Quiroz, S. (2019). Benin. In Brill's Encyclopedia of Global Pentecostalism Online. Brill Academic Publishers
- Quiroz, S. (2016). Seeking God's Blessings: Pentecostal Religious Discourses, Pyramidal Schemes and Money Scams in the Southeast of Benin Republic. In D. Whyte, & J. Wiegratz (Eds.), Neoliberalism and the moral economy of fraud (170-183). Routledge
- Quiroz Uria, S. (2013). El movimiento de Amalia Bautista en la Huasteca Meridional. Milenarismo y cambio social a fines del siglo XX. In A. B. Pérez Castro (Ed.), La Huaxteca. Concierto de saberes en homenaje a Lorenzo Ochoa. IIA, COLSAN