|Assistant Professor in the Department of Engineering||E328 Christopherson 3.5|
Sravan Muguda is an Assistant Professor in Sustainable and Resilient Infrastructure at the Department of Engineering, Durham University. His research interests include geotechnical behaviour of fine-grained soils, bio-stabilization of soils, and earthen construction materials such as rammed earth and compressed earth blocks. Sravan Muguda has dual-PhD degree from Durham University, United Kingdom and University of Pau and Pays de l'Adour, France. The project was funded through the European Union's H2020 program via Marie Skłodowska-Curie Innovative Training Network ‘TERRE’.
- L3 Civil Design
- Academic Lead for Civils Laboratory
- Bio-Geotechnics - Biopolymers, Enzymatic stabilisation of soils
- Resilient earthen infrastructure - Capillary Barrier Systems, Ground Improvement
- Earthen construction - Rammed Earth, Compressed earth blocks
Chapter in book
- Nagaraj, H., & Muguda, S. (in press). Recent Innovations in Stabilized Earthen Construction. In Sustainable Materials in Building Construction (149-164). Springer, Cham. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-46800-2_7
- Muguda, S., Lucas, G., Hughes, P., Augarde, C., Cuccurullo, A., Perlot, C., …Gallipoli, D. (2018). Advances in using biological stabilisers and hypercompaction for sustainable earthen construction materials. In Earthen Dwellings and Structures. Springer Transactions in Civil and Environmental Engineering. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-5883-8_17
- Muguda, S., Hughes, P., Augarde, C., Perlot, C., Bruno, A., & Gallipoli, D. (2019). Geotechnical characterisation of recycled biopolymer-stabilised earthen materials.
- Nagaraj, H., & Muguda, S. (2019). A review of factors affecting undrained strength of fine-grained soils at consistency limits.
- Muguda, S., Booth, S., Hughes, P., Augarde, C., Perlot, C., Bruno, A., & Gallipoli, D. (2018). Preliminary study on use of biopolymers in earthen construction.
- Muguda Viswanath, S. (in press). Biopolymer Stabilised Earthen Construction Materials. (Thesis). Durham University. Retrieved from https://durham-repository.worktribe.com/output/1617915
- Muguda, S., Hughes, P., Augarde, C., Perlot, C., Bruno, A., & Gallipoli, D. (2022). Cross-linking of biopolymers for stabilising earthen construction materials. Building Research and Information, 50(5), 502-514. https://doi.org/10.1080/09613218.2021.2001304
- Nagaraj, H., Sravan, M., & Deepa, B. (2021). Discussion on "Factors influencing undrained strength of fine-grained soils at high water contents". Geomechanics and Geoengineering, 16(4), 325-329. https://doi.org/10.1080/17486025.2019.1670875
- Muguda, S., Lucas, G., Hughes, P., Augarde, C., Perlot, C., Bruno, A., & Gallipoli, D. (2020). Durability and hygroscopic behaviour of biopolymer stabilised earthen construction materials. Construction and Building Materials, 259, Article 119725. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2020.119725
- Muguda, S., & Nagaraj, H. (2019). Effect of enzymes on plasticity and strength characteristics of an earthen construction material. International Journal of Geo-Engineering, 10(1), https://doi.org/10.1186/s40703-019-0098-2
- Nagaraj, H., Sravan, M., & Deepa, B. (2018). Factors influencing undrained strength of fine-grained soils at high water contents. Geomechanics and Geoengineering, 13(4), 276-287. https://doi.org/10.1080/17486025.2018.1445873
- Muguda, S., Booth, S. J., Hughes, P. N., Augarde, C. E., Perlot, C., Bruno, A. W., & Gallipoli, D. (2017). Mechanical properties of biopolymer-stabilised soil-based construction materials. Géotechnique Letters, 7(4), 309-314. https://doi.org/10.1680/jgele.17.00081
- Muguda Viswanath, S., & Nagaraj, H. B. (2017). Potential Use of Enzymes in the Preparation of Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks. Journal of Materials in Civil Engineering, 29(9), Article 04017103. https://doi.org/10.1061/%28asce%29mt.1943-5533.0001947
- Nagaraj, H., Rajesh, A., & Sravan, M. (2016). Influence of soil gradation, proportion and combination of admixtures on the properties and durability of CSEBs. Construction and Building Materials, 110, 135-144. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.02.023
- Nagaraj, H., Reesha, B., Sravan, M., & Suresh, M. (2015). Correlation of compaction characteristics of natural soils with modified plastic limit. Transportation Geotechnics, 2, 65-77. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.trgeo.2014.09.002
- Nagaraj, H., Sravan, M., Arun, T., & Jagadish, K. (2014). Role of lime with cement in long-term strength of Compressed Stabilized Earth Blocks. International journal of sustainable built environment, 3(1), 54-61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsbe.2014.03.001