Dr Stuart Jones
Associate Professor, Director of EDI
BSc Aberystwth (1994); PhD Reading (1997)
|Associate Professor, Director of EDI in the Department of Earth Sciences||Rm 314||+44 (0) 191 33 42319|
2013 – present — Associate Professor in Sedimentology, Durham University
2000 – 2013 — Lecturer in Sedimentology, Durham University
2004 – present — Visiting Professor in Clastic Sedimentology, University of Payme Noor, Iran
1998 – 2000 — Royal Society Teaching Fellow, School of Ocean and Earth Science, University of Southampton
1996 – 1998 — Senior Sedimentologist, Baker Atlas Geosciences, International INC.
Career Research Highlights
Stuart Jones is a clastic sedimentologist that specialises in continental sedimentology, diagenesis and reservoir quality prediction. Stuart's research has focused on fluvial sedimentology and evolution within a variety of tectonic basin settings and under the influence of a variety of climatic regimes. This is undertaken through the joint application of subsurface and outcrop sedimentological data for improved model development and reducing subsurface risk and uncertainty. Recent research on how geopressure and early diagenetic cements can maintain high porosities in reservoir sandstones is guiding better reservoir predictions for High-Pressure High-Temperature (HPHT) systems. Stuart is leader of the GeoPOP research consortium, a multi-disciplinary research group investigating overpressure in sedimentary basins and funded by the hydrocarbon industry (www.geopop.org.uk).
Stuart has widely published on non-marine and applied sedimentology in peer-reviewed journals and has edited several books. He has recently c o-written with Maurice Tucker the 4th Edition of Sedimentary Petrology - a seminal text book used by sedimentologists globally. A new 2nd edition of the extremely popular Introducing Sedimentology is due to be published early in summer 2023. Since 2001, he has obtained research funding in excess of £3.2 Million.
Committee and Society Service
2008 – present — Member of Geological Society of London, Awards Committee
2002 – 2005 – Secretary of the British Sedimentological Research Group, Geological Society of London
2002 – 2005 – Representative for British Sedimentological Research Group on the Science panel for Geological Society of London
Conferences and Workshops
2011 — Syntectonic fluvial and alluvial systems in a Permo-Triassic rift basin, central Spain. Oil company field workshop - EnQuest
2011 — ESTA Annual Conference, Durham University. Convenor
2010 Syntectonic fluvial and alluvial systems in a Permo-Triassic rift basin, central Spain. Oil company field workshop - Talisman Energy, OMV & DONG
2010 — Syntectonic fluvial and alluvial systems in a Permo-Triassic rift basin, central Spain. Oil company field workshop - ConocoPhillips, BG & ENI
2009 — Syntectonic fluvial and alluvial systems in a Permo-Triassic rift basin, central Spain. Oil company field workshop - RWE Dea
2008 Syntectonic fluvial and alluvial systems in a Permo-Triassic rift basin, central Spain. Oil company field workshop - Talisman Energy
2008 — Alluvial systems and controls on reservoir quality. Oil company field workshop - BG
2007 — Alluvial systems and controls on reservoir quality. Oil company field workshop - ConocoPhillips
2007 — Alluvial Fans 2007, Bamff, Canada. Co-convenor
2005 Climatic and tectonic controls on piggyback basin sediments: Spanish Pyrenees. Oil company workshop
2005 — British Sedimentological Annual General Meeting, Durham University. Convenor
2004 — William Smith meeting, Geological Society London. Earth’s Dynamic Surface: catastrophe and continuity in landscape evolution. Co-convenor
2004 — Controls on rift sedimentation: Permo-Triassic central Spain. Oil company workshop
2002 — 11th Workshop of the ILP task force, Europrobe: Tectonic basins and sedimentary dynamics. Oliana Spain. Co-convenor
2015 - present — Editorial Board of the Journal Petroleum Science
2012 - 2020 — Editorial Board of the Journal of the Geological Society as a Subject Editor in Sedimentology
2005 - present — Editorial Board, Journal of Iberian Geology, Spain
2005 — "Response times in landscape evolution". EGU General Assembly, Vienna
Prizes & Awards
2004: Excellence in Teaching Award, Durham University
2004: PhD Student, Thomas Sinclair awarded academia and industry prize by the Geological Society of London
2006: Chartered Geologist status, Geological Society of London
2006: PhD Student, Thomas Sinclair awarded academia and industry prize by the Geological Society of London
2006: SETPOINT NORTH EAST Science Ambassador of the Year
2006: Excellence in Teaching Award, Durham University
2018: Excellence in Doctoral Supervision, Durham University
- Geopressure of sedimentary basins
- Non-marine clastic sedimentology
- Characterisation of sediments and sedimentary rocks
- quantitative fluvial sedimentology
- sediment supply to basins and clastic depositional environments of rift, strike-slip and foreland basins
- Climate and Environmental Change
- Geoenergy, Resources and Waste
- Palaeoclimate Research Group
- Sedimentology Research Group
- 2016: Inspire: Identifying North Sea Palaezozoic Prospectivity(£239948.00 from Oil and Gas Authority)
- 2012: GEOPOP3(£655481.99 from MISC Industry/Commerce)
- 2012: GeoPOP3: BG, BP, Chevron, CoP, E.ON, ENI, Petrobras, PETRONAS, Statoil, Total, Tullow. £2,700,000 2012-03-01 - 2015-09-30
- 2012: RF050177: GeoPOP3, MISC Industry/Commerce, £987602.38, 2012-03-01 - 2015-06-30
- 2008: Evolution of Fluvial Systems, Central Iberian Basin Spain - Studentship(£75000.00 from BG International Limited)
- 2018: Excellence in Doctoral Supervision - Durham University:
- 2008: Member Geological Society of London Awards Committee: Member Geological Society of London Awards Committee
- 2007: Bringing Science to Life. Meeting with PM Tony Blair: Invited meeting with Prime Minister Tony Blair at 10 Downing street, to discuss engagement of the next generation of scientists
- 2006: Science and Engineering Ambassador of the Year. Awarded by SETPOINT NE:
Available for media contact about:
- Industry: Chemicals, plastics, oil & gas: oil and gas economics and employment
- Landscape & buildings: landscape evolution and development
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: rivers
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: flooding
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: oil exploration
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: geology of Spain and Israel
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: rocks - ``sedimentary''
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: minerals
- The Earth: Rocks & natural forces: coastal erosion
- Tucker, Maurice, E & Jones, Stuart, J (2023). Sedimentary Petrology. John Wiley & Sons Inc.
- Jones, S.J. (2015). Introducing Sedimentology. Dunedin Academic Press.
Chapter in book
- Jones, Stuart J & Saville, Christopher (2021). Earth Science. In Teaching Secondary Chemistry. Harrison, Chris, Aston, Katherine, Childs, Ann & Kind, Vanessa Hodder Education.
- Gluyas, Jon, Tang, Longxun & Jones, Stuart (2018). Argyll Field: the first oil field to be developed on the UK Continental Shelf. In History of the European Oil and Gas Industry. Craig, J., Gerali, F., Macaulay, F. & Sorkhabi, R. London: Geological Society. 465: 77-93.
- Arzani, N. & Jones, S.J. (2016). Upstream controls on evolution of dryland alluvial megafans: Quaternary examples from the Kohrud Mountain Range, central Iran. In Geology and Geomorphology of Alluvial and Fluvial Fans: Terrestrial and Planetary Perspectives. Ventra, D. & Clarke, L. E. The Geological Society, London. 440.
- Frostick, L.E & Jones, S.J (2002). Impact of periodicity on sediment flux in alluvial systems; grain to basin scale. In Sediment Flux to Basins: Causes, Controls and Consequences. Jones, S.J & Frostick, L.E London: Geological Society of London. 191: 81-95.
- Jones, S.J & Frostick, L.E. (2002). Transverse Rivers Draining the Spanish Pyrenees: Large Scale Patterns of Sediment Erosion and Deposition. In Sediment flux to basins: causes, controls and consequences. Jones, S.J. & Frostrick, L.E. London: Geological Society of London. 191: 171-186.
- Gallagher, K, Jones S J & Wainwright J (2008). Landscape Evolution: Denudation, Climate and Tectonics over Different Time and Space Scales. Geological Society London, Special Publications 296.
- Jones, S J & Frostick, L E (2002). Sediment Flux to Basins: Causes, Controls and Consequences. Geological Society London, Special Publications 191.
- Harrison, Devin, Ross, Neil, Russell, Andrew J. & Jones, Stuart J. (2023). Geophysical reconstruction of the late Holocene proximal proglacial landsystem at Skeiðarársandur, southeast Iceland. Journal of Quaternary Science
- Charlaftis, Dimitrios, Jones, Stuart J., Grimm, Lars & Kappler, Andreas (2023). Interdependence between bacterial EPS and early grain coat development. Terra Nova
- O'Neill, Sean R., Jones, Stuart J. & Kamp, Peter J. J. (2023). Tectonostratigraphic controls on pore fluid pressure distribution across the Taranaki Basin, New Zealand. Basin Research
- Aro, Oluwafemi E., Jones, Stuart J., Meadows, Neil S., Gluyas, Jon & Charlaftis, Dimitrios (2023). The importance of facies, grain size and clay content in controlling fluvial reservoir quality – an example from the Triassic Skagerrak Formation, Central North Sea, UK. Petroleum Geoscience 29(2).
- Qian, Wendao, Sun, Qiliang, Jones, Stuart J., Yin, Taiju, Zhang, Changmin, Xu, Guosheng, Hou, Guowei & Zhang, Bo (2022). Diagenesis and controlling factors of Oligocene Huagang Formation tight sandstone reservoir in the south of Xihu sag, the East China Sea Shelf Basin. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 215: 110579.
- Bello, Abdulwahab, M, Jones, Stuart, J, Gluyas, Jon, G & Al-Ramadan, Khalid (2022). Impact of Grain-Coating Clays on Porosity Preservation in Paleocene Turbidite Channel Sandstones: Nelson Oil Field, UK Central North Sea. Minerals 12(5): 555.
- Marsh, J.R., Jones, S.J., Meadows, N.S. & Gluyas, J.G. (2022). Petrographic and diagenetic investigation of the distal Triassic ‘Budleighensis’ fluvial system in the Solway and Carlisle Basins for potential CO2 storage. Petroleum Geoscience 28(3): petgeo 2021- 2065.
- Harrison, Devin, Ross, Neil, Russell, Andrew J. & Jones, Stuart J. (2022). Ground‐penetrating radar (GPR) investigations of a large‐scale buried ice‐marginal landsystem, Skeiðarársandur, SE Iceland. Boreas 51(4): 824-846.
- Charlaftis, Dimitrios, Dobson, Katherine J., Jones, Stuart J., Lakshtanov, Dmitry, Crouch, Jonathan & Cook, Jennie (2022). Experimental Simulation of Burial Diagenesis and Subsequent 2D-3D Characterization of Sandstone Reservoir Quality. Frontiers in Earth Science 10: 766145.
- Bello, Abdulkwahab M., Charlaftis, Dimitrios, Jones, Stuart J., Gluyas, Jon, Acikalin, Sanem, Cartigny, Matthieu & Al-Ramadan, Khalid (2022). Experimental diagenesis using present-day submarine turbidite sands. Frontiers in Earth Sciences 10.
- Donovan, Stephen K., Jones, Stuart J., King, Abigail R. & Harper, David A.T. (2021). Pliocene trace fossils from oyster substrates in the Nijar Basin, Betic Cordillera, southern Spain. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association 132(3): 358-368.
- Bello, Abdulwahab M., Jones, Stuart J., Gluyas, Jon G., Acikalin, Sanem & Cartigny, Matthieu (2021). Role played by clay content in controlling reservoir quality of submarine fan system, Forties Sandstone Member, Central Graben, North Sea. Marine and petroleum Geology 128: 105058.
- Charlaftis, D, Jones, S.J, Dobson, K.J, Crouch, J & Acikalin, S (2021). Experimental study of chlorite authigenesis and influence on porosity maintenance in sandstones. Journal of Sedimentary Research 91(2): 197-212.
- Franzel, Maximilian, Jones, Stuart J., Meadows, Neil, Allen, Mark B., McCaffrey, Ken & Morgan, Tim (2021). Basin-scale fluvial correlation and response to the Tethyan marine transgression: an example from the Triassic of central Spain. Basin Research 33(1): 1-25.
- Ramdhan, Agus M., Goulty, Neil R., Jones, Stuart J. & Hutasoit, Lambok M. (2020). Density Normal Compaction Trend in the Peciko Field, Lower Kutai Basin, Indonesia. Indonesian Journal on Geoscience 7(3): 253-265.
- Tang, Longxun, Gluyas, Jon G., Jones, Stuart & Besly, Bernard (2020). The Alma (formerly Argyll/Ardmore) Field, Blocks 30/24 and 30/25a, UK North Sea. Geological Society, London, Memoirs 52(1): 360-370.
- O'Neill, Sean R., Jones, Stuart J. & Kamp, Peter J.J. (2020). Diagenesis and burial history modeling of heterogeneous marginal marine to shoreface Paleocene glauconitic sandstones, Taranaki Basin, New Zealand. Journal of Sedimentary Research 90(6): 651-668.
- Groves, Katharine, Saville, Christopher, Hurst, Martin D., Jones, Stuart J., Song, Shuguang & Allen, Mark B. (2020). Geomorphic expressions of collisional tectonics in the Qilian Shan, north eastern Tibetan Plateau. Tectonophysics 788: 228503.
- Oye, Olakunle J., Aplin, Andrew C., Jones, Stuart J., Gluyas, Jon G., Bowen, Leon, Harwood, Joseph, Orland, Ian J. & Valley, John W. (2020). Vertical effective stress and temperature as controls of quartz cementation in sandstones: Evidence from North Sea fulmar and Gulf of Mexico Wilcox sandstones. Marine and Petroleum Geology 115: 104289.
- Qian, W. D., Zheng, F., Huijia, T., Jones, S. & Taiju, Y. (2020). Mid-Deep and Deeply Buried Clastic Reservoirs Porosity Evolution Simulation with Using the Process-Based Method. Geotectonics 54(6): 844.
- Wang, Xiao, He, Sheng, Jones, Stuart J., Yang, Rui, Wei, Ajuan, Liu, Changhai, Liu, Qiang, Cheng, Chunyang & Liu, Weimin (2019). Overpressure and its positive effect in deep sandstone reservoir quality of Bozhong Depression, offshore Bohai Bay Basin, China. Journal of Petroleum Science and Engineering 182: 106362.
- Pan, L., Jones, S.J., Wang, X., Guan, W. & Li, L. (2019). Re-evaluation of the porosity measurements under different confining pressures: a better appraisal of reservoir porosity. AAPG Bulletin 103(3): 515-526.
- Oye, Olakunle J., Aplin, Andrew C., Jones, Stuart J., Gluyas, Jon G., Bowen, Leon, Orland, Ian J. & Valley, John W. (2018). Vertical effective stress as a control on quartz cementation in sandstones. Marine and Petroleum Geology 98: 640-652.
- O'Neill, Sean R., Jones, Stuart J., Kamp, Peter J.J., Swarbrick, Richard E. & Gluyas, Jon G. (2018). Pore pressure and reservoir quality evolution in the deep Taranaki Basin, New Zealand. Marine and Petroleum Geology 98: 815-835.
- Tang, Long-Xun, Gluyas, Jon, Jones, Stuart & Bowen, Leon (2018). Diagenetic and geochemical studies of the Buchan Formation (Upper Devonian) in the Central North Sea. Petroleum Science 15(2): 211-229.
- Tang, Longxun, Gluyas, Jon & Jones, Stuart (2018). Porosity preservation due to grain coating illite/smectite: Evidence from Buchan Formation (Upper Devonian) of the Ardmore Field, UK North Sea. Proceedings of the Geologists' Association 129(2): 202-214.
- Stricker, Stephan, Jones, Stuart J., Meadows, Neil & Bowen, Leon (2018). Reservoir quality of fluvial sandstone reservoirs in salt-walled mini-basins: an example from the Seagull field, Central Graben, North Sea, UK. Petroleum Science 15(1): 1-27.
- Jones, S. J. (2017). Goo, glue, and grain binding: Importance of biofilms for diagenesis in sandstones. Geology 45(10): 959-960.
- Tang, L., Jones, S. J. & Gluyas, J. (2017). Facies Architecture of the Fluvial-Aeolian Buchan Formation (Upper Devonian) and Its Implications on Field Exploration: A Case Study from Ardmore Field, Central North Sea, UK. International Journal of Geosciences 8(7): 902-924.
- Cui, Yufeng, Jones, Stuart J., Saville, Christopher, Stricker, Stephan, Wang, Guiwen, Tang, Longxun, Fan, Xuqiang & Chen, Jing (2017). The role played by carbonate cementation in controlling reservoir quality of the Triassic Skagerrak Formation, Norway. Marine and Petroleum Geology 85: 316-331.
- Cu, Y., Wang, G., Jones, S.J., Zhou, Z., Ran, Y., Lai, J., Li, R. & Deng, L. (2017). Prediction of diagenetic facies using well logs – A case study from the upper Triassic Yanchang Formation, Ordos Basin, China. Marine and Petroleum Geology 81: 50-65.
- Stricker, S., Jones, S. J. & Sathar, S. (2017). Overpressure preventing quartz cementation? - A reply. Marine and Petroleum Geology 79: 337-339.
- Zahida, M.A., Chunmeia, D., Lina, C., Gluyas, J., Jones S.J., Zhang,X., Munawara,M.J. & Maa, C. (2016). Sequence Stratigraphy, sedimentary facies and reservoir quality of Es4s, southern slope of Dongying Depression, Bohai Bay Basin, East China. Marine and Petroleum Geology 77: 448-470.
- Stricker, S, Jones, S.J. & Grant, N. (2016). Importance of vertical effective stress for reservoir quality in the Skagerrak Formation, Central Graben, North Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology 78: 895-909.
- Sathar, S. & Jones, S.J. (2016). Fluid overpressure as a control on sandstone reservoir quality in a mechanical compaction dominated setting: Magnolia Field, Gulf of Mexico. Terra Nova 28(3): 155-162.
- Stricker, S., Jones, S. J., Sathar, S., Bowen, L. & Oxtoby, N. (2016). Exceptional reservoir quality in HPHT reservoir settings: examples from the Skagerrak Formation of the Heron Cluster, UK, North Sea. Marine and Petroleum Geology 77: 198-215.
- Stricker, S. & Jones, S.J. (2016). Enhanced porosity preservation by pore fluid overpressure and chlorite grain coatings in the Triassic Skagerrak, Central Graben, North Sea, UK. Geological Society, London, Special Publications 435: 321-341.
- Jones, S.J., Arzani, N. & Allen, M.B. (2014). Tectonic and climatic controls on fan systems: The Kohrud mountain belt, Central Iran. Sedimentary Geology 302: 29-42.
- Nguyen, B.T.T., Jones, S.J., Goulty, N.R., Middleton, A.J., Grant, N., Ferguson, A. & Bowen, L. (2013). The role of fluid pressure and diagenetic cements for porosoity preservation in Triassic fluvial reservoirs of the Central Graben, North Sea. AAPG Bulletin 97(8): 1273-1302.
- Goulty, N.R., Ramdhan, A.M. & Jones, S.J. (2012). Chemical compaction of mudrocks in the presence of overpressure. Petroleum Geoscience 18(4): 471-479.
- Allen, M.B., Kheirkhah, M., Emami, M.H. & Jones, S.J. (2011). Right-lateral shear across Iran and kinematic change in the Arabia–Eurasia collision zone. Geophysical Journal International 184(2): 555-574.
- Waters, J V, Jones, S J & Armstrong, H A (2010). Climatic controls on late Pleistocene alluvial fans, Cyprus. Geomorphology 115(3-4): 228-251.
- Jones, S J & Frostick, L.E. (2008). Inferring bedload transport from stratigraphic successions: examples from Cenozoic and Pleistocene rivers, south central Pyrenees, Spain. Geological Society, London, Special Publications 296(1): 129-145.
- Jones, S.J., Frostick, L.E. & Astin, T.R. (2007). Contrasting Bedload Transport Rates of Oligo-Miocene and Pleistocene. Sedimentary Geology
- Jones, S.J. (2004). Tectonic controls on drainage evolution and development of terminal alluvial fans, southern Pyrenees, Spain. Terra Nova 16(3): 121-127.
- Jones, S.J, Frostick, L.E & Astin, T.R (2001). Braided stream and flood plain architecture: the Rio Vero Formation, Spanish Pyrenees. Sedimentary Geology 139(3-4): 229-260.
- Jones, S.J. (2001). Oligo-Miocene long-lived palaeovalleys: temporal and spatial controls on the alluvial architecture and. Basin Research
- Jones, S.J, Frostick, L.E. & Astin, T.R. (1999). Climatic and tectonic controls on fluvial incision and aggradation in the. Journal of the Geological Society, London 156: 761-769.