Skip to main content

Fee Status 

For universities in the UK, like Durham, there are two tuition fee rates – a lower rate for applicants assessed as ‘home’ and a higher rate for applicants assessed as ‘overseas’. Whether you pay a ‘home’ fee or an ‘overseas’ fee depends on you meeting certain criteria.   

Fee status criteria is set out in regulations and guidance published by the four countries of the UK – the criteria which applies to Durham is for “Higher Education in England”. The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) publishes advice and guidance on fee status which is helpful if you are in doubt about what your fee status might be. 

Recruitment and Admissions are responsible for assessing fee status for applicants and students.  Because fee status assessments are carried out by each university you apply to, it’s possible that in borderline cases different universities may come to different decisions.

Undergraduate and PGCE courses 

When you apply to us, an assessment of your fee status is made automatically based on the information on your application form. If you receive an offer then your fee status will be confirmed in your offer letter, and for international students at UCAS as well. 

If you think you have been assessed incorrectly you can appeal by contacting us, giving reasons why you disagree with the assessment. If it is considered you have grounds for appeal then we will contact you with details on how to proceed. 

Postgraduate courses 

You will be asked a number of questions on our online application form which helps us to assess your fee status.  We will send you a notification through your Applicant Portal to let you know what your fee status is. 

If you think you have been assessed incorrectly then you can submit a Fee Status Review request.  You do this through your applicant portal by clicking on the arrow next to your course and selecting ‘View Fee Status’. 

Changes to fee status mid-course 

There are certain circumstances where it is possible for you to change fee status part way through your course (from overseas to home).  If after checking the UKCISA website you think this might apply to you, then you can contact us explaining why you think your fee status should change, and if appropriate we will send you a form to complete asking for further information.  You will also need to send us any documents to support your case. 

We will only deal directly with you in cases of fee status unless you give us express permission in writing that we may speak to a parent or other person of your choosing.  If you would like to nominate someone to act on your behalf then please complete our enquiry form.

Undergraduate and PGCE teacher training students should contact us. 

Other postgraduate taught and postgraduate research students should contact us using our enquiry form.