Interested in studying at Durham?
Get more tips and tricks about how to apply to Durham straight to your inbox.
If you want to be challenged and inspired to achieve the extraordinary then we’d love to hear from you.
If you’re applying to us through UCAS, use our handy guide below to help you.
For the best chance of receiving an offer, you’ll need to apply by 18:00 (GMT) on 25 January 2023. If you’re applying for Oxbridge, or Medicine, Dentistry or Veterinary Science, then the application deadline is 15 October. Your school or college may have their own deadline for you to apply so they have enough time to write your reference, so you’ll need to bear this in mind.
Register with UCAS. If you’re applying through school or college then you’ll need a buzzword, so make sure you know what this is. If you’re not applying through a school or college then you won’t need a buzzword. When you register you’ll be given a username, will need to create your own password, and will be given a UCAS personal ID. Make sure you keep these safe as you will need them a lot.
You can usually start your application from September for entry to university the following year. The online system lets you complete your application in stages – simply save as you go along and you can return to it later.
The application is made up of different sections, including your personal details, qualifications, course choices, a personal statement and a reference.
UCAS have some great guides to help you complete your application on their website
You can choose up to five courses. Use the institution code D86 for Durham.
Once you’ve submitted your application to UCAS they will let you know they have received it and will send it to all of your university choices. Selection processes vary between universities and courses so don’t worry if you don’t hear from your choices straight away. When the universities you have applied to are ready to make their decisions, you’ll be able to see them on at UCAS.
1. It’s never too early to start thinking about the course you want to study. Do your online research and take advantage of Open Days, Campus Tours (virtual options available) and talking to current students to find out as much as you can about your subject and the universities you’re interested in. You only have a maximum of 5 choices on your UCAS application, so it’s important you take advantage of all the resources available to choose the right courses and universities for you.
2. Give yourself enough time to complete your application before the deadline – don’t leave it until the last minute! You need to give yourself the best chance of getting an offer, so plan in enough time so you don’t need to rush.
3. Double check each section before you submit your application. It’s especially important that factual information is correct, especially the grades you achieved in your qualifications.
4. If you’re using a school email address then don’t forget to change this to a personal one before you leave. Most universities send you information by email and don’t want you to miss important messages they might send during the summer months.
5. Don’t forget, UCAS have lots of helpful hints and tips, including a video guide. Or you could Ask one of our friendly advisers, who are always happy to help.
Good luck with your application - and we hope to see you at Durham soon!
From iconic facilities to life-changing internships, Collingwood is unique. Surrounded by a talented team of staff who insist on knowing every student, there is no better place to begin your adult life.
This information shows the number of places available and the number of applications received in admissions cycle.
Have a question about applying for Durham University?