Skip to main content

Research and Impact

The 2014 Research Excellence Framework (REF) was conducted by the official body for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions; the next such exercise is due for publication in 2021.

In 2014, 96% of Durham Physics research was considered either to be of "internationally excellent quality" or "world leading" in the REF results, with the remaining 4% considered to be "internationally recognised". This places Durham in the top 10 of UK institutions for the subject.
Learn more about us
OEM Cleanroom Physics Research
This is the image alt text

Levelling Up: Aspire Higher

Levelling Up: Aspire Higher is an academic and pastoral support programme, targeted at students who are aiming to pursue the study of Physics at University (we also offer similar programmes in Maths and Chemistry).

Find out more Eligibility Criteria

Our research groups


Durham is one of the UK's leading centres for astronomical research with world-class groups working in a wide range of fields covering the observational, theoretical and instrumentation aspects of astronomy. There are 28 academic staff across the combined astronomy groups, with over 100 postdocs, postgraduate students and support and technical staff involved in astronomy research.


Find out more

Quantum Light & Matter

The Durham Quantum Light and Matter (QLM) research section encompasses several research groups sharing a common interest in the study of the quantum properties of atoms, molecules and solids and their interactions with light. Our work aims to advance our fundamental understanding of quantum light and matter, whilst exploring a broad range of applications in quantum science, metrology and quantum technologies.


Find out more


Centre for Advanced Instrumentation

The CfAI’s vision is to undertake a world-leading programme of education and research with international impact, based on the development of novel instrumentation and cutting edge technologies with applications across a range of strategically important scientific areas of benefit to modern society.

Members of CfAI are directly involved in two Covid-19 related projects. In one project the precision optics facility is being re-opened to machine mould tools for infrared lenses for integration into a novel thermal imaging system. The second project is using an imaging system, designed within CfAI, to view with cellular resolution inside the lung using a micro-fibre optic endoscope. This is a collaborative project involving Durham, Bath, Herriot Watt, Dundee Universities, and led by Edinburgh University.


Find out more


Condensed Matter Physics

Materials Physics is one of the largest, most diverse and dynamic fields in modern physics, encompassing all aspects of the solid and liquids states of matter. This breadth is reflected in the research undertaken at Durham which spans a wide range of subjects from light emitting polymers and solar cell materials to nanoscale magnetics. Our work aims to push forward the forefront of our understanding in the physics of materials using experiment, theory and computation. 


Find out more

Institute for Particle Physics Phenomenology

Our work addresses the mysteries surrounding antimatter and dark matter, the possibility of supersymmetry, new fundamental forces and even the very modifications of the structure of space-time at very high energies.  In this, we work closely with the IPPP on building a bridge between theory and experiment in understanding the building blocks and fundamental forces of the universe.


Find out more