Skip to main content

Study Abroad


The experience of having lived independently abroad can be very rewarding in terms of employability and of personal development. For this reason, students are encouraged to apply during their degree for a year-long placement with one of the Physics Department's or the University's international partners, either in replacement of the third year of study within an MPhys degree or as an additional year of study.

We have partnerships with a number of institutions Europe, North America, Australia, New Zealand and the Far East. Students may study in English at some of these destinations, whereas for others foreign language skills are essential. Students are fully supported by the Department both during the application process and during the year abroad. 

Adding a year-long international placement to a Physics degree leads to the degree of BSc Physics with Year Abroad or of MPhys Physics with Year Abroad. Admission to these degrees is through transfer from F300, F301FF3N or F344 after Year 1.