Picture of maths graduate Owen Bell

We caught up with Owen Bell who graduated from our department of Mathematical Sciences last year.

By: Owen Bell  Class of: 2022  College: Stephenson College  Subject: Mathematics (2018-21) & MISCADA (2021-22)

What was your experience like studying Maths at Durham?

Very positive, I enjoyed the choice of modules and I was given practical skills which have helped me in my professional life.

What did you enjoy most about your course?

For me, the dissertation was the most enjoyable part of the course.  The chance to explore a subject in depth on my own was very rewarding.

What are your fondest memories from your time at Durham?

My fondest memories of Durham are of the sports and societies that I took part in whilst I was there – particularly the Durham University Hill Walking Society. 

What have you been up to since you left Durham?

Since I left Durham, I have been working as a consultant analyst for Oliver Wyman in Newcastle.

What are your plans for the future?

My plans for the future are to keep working on projects that I find interesting and to continue to develop my professional skillset. 

What would be your top advice for current students and/or prospective students?

Get involved in as many societies as you can and, if you get a chance, volunteer to help run one of them – serving on an exec gives really valuable experience that can be helpful when you start working.