Durham Energy Institute
Decarbonising energy is one of the most pressing challenges facing the world today.
Approaching energy as socio-technical helps us to understand solutions fully and from many perspectives.
Durham Energy Institute works to ensure sustainable and resilient low-carbon energy systems can be developed which meet the needs of different contexts and ensure fair access for everyone.
Examples of our leadership in energy research include:
- Promoting a whole-systems approach to energy research integrating the social, environmental, economic, policy, technical and regulatory implications of energy pathways and choices
- Best practice in innovative training for future energy leaders
- World-leading research to make Offshore Wind more affordable and reliable
- Leading international research on smart energy solutions
- Working with industrial clusters to developing innovative decarbonisation solutions
- Driving forward the UK Hydrogen Revolution
- Discovering and developing new energy materials to help achieve durable, efficient, and sustainable energy systems.
With our global partners, DEI is making a real contribution to global energy transitions and ensuring effective solutions for decarbonisation are delivered at local, regional, national and international scales.