|Assistant Professor of Competition Law in Durham Law School||PCL145||42860|
Dr Anca Chirita publishes in the field of Competition Law and convenes Competition Law 3011 (2012 -140 students) and 40230 (2011 - 40 students). She is a member of the Senior Common Room at Grey College and a Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network for the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition for the Unilateral Conduct Working Group.
Her research has been published in journals such as International & Comparative Law Quarterly, Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies, German Journal of European Legal Studies, European Law Review, Irish Journal of European Law, Loyola Consumer Law Review (Loyola University Chicago), World Competition Law and Economics Review, European Competition Journal, European Competition Law Review, Competition Law Review, Oxford Competition Law, Competition Policy International and with Springer, Hart, Elgar, Nomos. Her recent publication in 33 Loyola Consumer Law Review (1) 2021 had received offers from European Competition Journal, Journal of European and Consumer Market Law and European Law Journal. Her recent research examined:
Competition for environmental sustainability (written evidence to the CMA for BEIS), global platform dominance in digital markets (Loyola Consumer Law Review), the rise of big data (Springer Nature), digital markets – oral / written evidence published by HM Treasury’s Digital Competition Expert Panel, editorial (CLR), anti-competitive practices (CLR, CPI), undistorted competition (World Competition, shortlisted for junior award), comparative abuse of dominance (Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize);
- Competition policy’s social paradox of economic efficiency (ECJ) and the historical interpretation of competition law (ICLQ);
- Restraints in cartels (JELS also in Comparative Competition Policy, OCL);
- State aid: for ‘Too-Big-to Fail’ banks (CYELS);
- Antitrust damages: disclosure of evidence under Directive 2014/104;
- the EU implications for UK competition law: evidence published by the House of Lords’ EU Internal Market Sub-Committee.
Durham student supervisees also published several articles in the European Competition Law Review (39 (2018) 2 49-63, 37 (2016) 10 406 and 5 179, 40 (2019) 3 107-113 and 2 83-92, 42 (2021) 9 520-534)); World Competition 41 (2018) 3, 419-452;Commonwealth Law Bulletin 46 (2020) 2 331-363; and the European Competition Journal 17 (2021) 2 407-436.
Since 2011, she serves as a member of the Editorial Review Board of OUP's Oxford Competition Law. She has acted as a peer-reviewer for CES (Columbia University) for conferences held in Philadelphia, Glasgow, Chicago and Madrid; for journals including the Oxford Journal of Competition Law and Economics, Oxford Journal of Antitrust Enforcement, Oxford Journal of Legal Studies, Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal, Competition Law Review, Yearbook of Antitrust and Regulatory Studies, Journal of European Consumer and Market Law etc; for books with Oxford University Press, Cambridge University Press, Palgrave Macmillan, Hart, Routledge etc.; and for funding applications of the Austrian Academy of Sciences.
She has presented her research at numerous events, e.g. the Law Society, Chatham House, ASCOLA New York, CES Pennsylvania, Washington D.C., SASE Berkeley, CES Sciences Po, Rovinj with four EU judges, XXIII Clasf Madrid, 53rd AIJA etc.
Academic citizenship service at Durham:
- 2021 DLS’s Dissertation Committee
- 2017-2021 DLS Chair of Ethics and Data Protection
- 2016-2021 DLS’s Research Committee
- 2016-2019 Co-chair of the DLS-DUBS’s Ethics Committee
- 2017-2021 Faculty of Health and Social Sciences Ethics Committee
- 2018-2019 Co-Director of the Institute of Commercial and Corporate Law
- 2016-2017 Deputy Director of Research Impact
- 2016-2017 Deputy Chair of the Ethics and Data Protection Peer Review
- 2013-2014 Co-Director of the European Law Institute.
Prior to joining the Law School in 2011, she was a PhD fellow of the Adenauer Foundation at the Europa-Institute, Saarland University, Faculty of Law and Economics. Her PhD in competition law was supervised by Professors Helmuth Schröter and Torsten Stein and awarded ‘summa cum laude’. During her PhD, she worked as a national expert with the College of Europe, Bruges (DG COMP project 2010/11), as a trainee with the Monopolies Commission in Bonn (2009), and as a Blue Book trainee with the European Commission in Brussels (2007/08). Previously, she completed the LL.M advanced diploma in Saarbrücken with a triple specialism in competition law, human rights law and world trade (examinations in German, English and French).
I hold an LLB degree in law (four years), an LLM in law with specialisation in competition law and a PhD in competition law. Therefore, I supervise in the areas of competition law, as suggested below:
- the wider goals of competition policy, e.g., consumer wellbeing and sustainability.
- abuse of a dominant position, e.g., the monopolisation of online platforms (GAFAM), monopolistic abuse of data sharing or combination, excessive or predatory pricing etc.
- restraints of trade, e.g., algorithmic cartels, resale price maintenance etc.
- mergers, e.g., public interest or data-driven mergers.
- state aid, e.g., competition and inequality through unfair tax competition.
Completions (2): R Wieser (MJur), G Bandi (PhD secondary).
External MPhil/PhD degree examinations (4): University of Oxford (2015, 2018, 2019), KCL (2017).
External examiner: Edinburgh Law School (2021 -).
Anca is a recipient of prestigious academic scholarships:
- 2018/16 RIF £2,694
- 2017/15 DIBS £5,867
- 2014 CELS €2,100
- 2012/14: DAAD (German Academic Exchange Service) fellowship
- 2011: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize €900, Vereinigung der Freunde der Universität des Saarlandes €511, Adenauer Stiftung €1,022
- 2011: College of Europe, Bruges, competition law expert for a project funded by the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition €3,900
- 2006/10: Adenauer Foundation doctoral fellowship €44,600
- 2007/08 EC Blue Book traineeship €4,815
- 2004/05: Federal Foreign Office Scholarship (Auswärtiges Amt) €12,022
- LLB (four-year) scholarship for exceptional merit.
- Competition law (UK/EU) and US antitrust law, policy and economics
- Abuse of a dominant position, mergers, cartels and state aid
- Competition policy and the intersection of competition law with consumer law and environmental sustainability
- Digital monopolies and data-driven mergers
- Durham European Law Institute
- Human Rights Centre
- 2022: ICN NGA for EC DG COMP (2017-2022): Non-Governmental Advisor to the International Competition Network for the European Commission’s Directorate-General for Competition ;for the Cartel (2017/2018) and for the Unilateral Conduct Working Group (2018/2022).
- 2020: Research engagement selected quotes: OECD DAF/COMP (2020)1 31 Springer chapter (2018)House of Lords (2018) at 54 147 186 and 198 written evidence (2018) interviewed by BBC Radio 4EC DG COMP Report (2016) ECLR article (2012)report commissioned for the Federal Ministry of Economic Affairs (2016) CLR article (2015)EC Director-General for Competition ;Speech on the Object of Effects (2014) ICLQ article (2014)
- 2012: Dr. Friedrich-Feldbausch-Stiftung Prize:
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2011). The German and Romanian Abuse of Market Dominance in the Light of Article 102 TFEU. Baden-Baden, Germany: Nomos Verlag.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018). Publication review of Private Power, Online Information Flows and EU Law: Mind the Gap (Oxford, Hart Publishing, 2016) by Angela Daly. European Law Review 43(6): 971-973.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2014). Review of Kiran Klaus Patel and Heike Schweitzer (eds), The Historical Foundations of EU Competition Law (Oxford, Oxford University Press, 2013). Irish Journal of European Law 17(1): 145-148.
Chapter in book
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2022). The exclusionary and exploitative abuse of data dominance. In Research Handbook on Competition Law and Data Privacy. Ioannidou, Maria & Mantzari, Despoina Edward Elgar.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2020). Data-Driven Mergers under EU Competition Law. In The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Change and Reform,. Akseli, O. & Linarelli, J. Oxford: Hart Publishing. 4: 147-183.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018). The Rise of Big Data and the Loss of Privacy. In Personal Data in Competition, Consumer Protection and Intellectual Property Law: Towards a Holistic Approach?. Bakhoum, M., Conde Gallego, B., Mackenordt, M.-O. & Surblytė-Namavičienė, G. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer. 153-189.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2017). The Disclosure of Evidence under the ‘Antitrust Damages’ Directive 2014/104/EU. In EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Public and Private Enforcement. Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. Berlin Heidelberg: Springer. 3: 147-173.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2016). Procedural Rights in EU Administrative Competition Proceedings: Ex Ante Mergers. In Procedural Rights in Competition Law in the EU and China. Cauffman, C. & Hao, Q. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer-Verlag. 3: 59-99.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2012). The Impact of Directive 2011/83/EU on Consumer Rights. In Alternative Ways to Ius Commune: The Europeanisation of Private Law. Keirse, A.L.M. & Loos, M.B.M. Cambridge: Intersentia. 65-82.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2012). Legal Interpretation and Practice versus Legal Theory: A Reconciliation of Competition Goals and a Reply to Andriychuk. In Goals of Competition Law. Zimmer, D. Cheltenham: Edward Elgar. 118-131.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2007). Abuzul de Poziţie Dominantă în Dreptul Românesc al Cartelurilor în Lumina Dreptului European şi German. In Second Public Romanian-German Colloquium on European Law. Universitaria, Craiova. 221-249.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2017). Editorial: Competition and Regulatory Trends in Digital Markets. The Competition Law Review, 12 (2): The Competition Law Scholars Forum, 119-130.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2021). Abuse of Global Platform Dominance or Competition on the Merits? Loyola Consumer Law Review 33(1): 1-57.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018). Google Android: Record-Breaking Fine on Anti-Competitive Practices Under Article 102 TFEU. CPI Antitrust Chronicle 1-6.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018). Competition Policy's Social Paradox: Are We Losing Sight of the Wood for the Trees? European Competition Journal 14(2-3): 367-416.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2014). The Impact of the European Union Current Crisis on Law, Policy and Society. Cambridge Yearbook of European Legal Studies 16: 255-288.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2015). Google's Anti-competitive and Unfair Practices in Digital Leisure Markets. Competition Law Review 11(1): 109-131.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2015). The Judicial Review of the European Union Industrial Cartels. Zeitschrift für europarechtliche Studien (German Journal of European Legal Studies) 18(4): 407-441.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2014). A Legal-Historical Review of the EU Competition Rules. International & Comparative Law Quarterly 63(2): 281-316.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2014). Recent Developments in EU Cartels. Oxford Competition Law
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2012). Cross-Border Service Payments under EU Fair Competition and SEPA Rules. European Competition Journal 8(2): 403-428.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2012). Recent Abuse of Dominance and Cartel Cases. European Competition Law Review 33(5): 227-236
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2011). Access to Essential Facilities: A Comparative Competition Law Perspective of Shared Use and Recent Margin. Squeeze Cases, Competition Survey Studies, Researches and Analysis (1): 32-41.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2011). Accesul la Facilităţi Esenţiale: O Perspectivă Comparativă a Dreptului Concurenţei Comerciale Referitoare la Folosirea Comună şi Cazuri Recente Privind Preţurile Forfetare. Concurenţă Studii, cercetări şi analize privind protecţia concurenţei economice. = Competition Survey: Studies, Researches and Analyses Relating to Economic Competition (1): 38-48.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2011). Concurenţa comercială şi proprietatea industrială în dreptul Uniunii Europene. Competition Survey Studies, Researches and Analysis
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2010). Undistorted, Un(fair) Competition, Consumer Welfare and the Interpretation of Article 102 TFEU. World Competition Law and Economics Review 33(3): 417-436.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2009). The EC Commission’s Guidance Paper on the Application of Article 82 EC: An Efficient Means of Compliance for Germany? European Competition Journal 5(3): 677-700.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2008). The Analysis of Market Dominance and Restrictive Practices under German Antitrust Law in Light of EC Antitrust Law. European Competition Journal 4(2): 415-441.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2008). The Abuse of Dominant Market Position under Romanian Antitrust Law in Light of European Antitrust Law. European Competition Law Review 29(3): 162-170.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018), HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel, HM Treasury's Oral Evidence Round Table. The Law Society, London.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018), The Crossroads of Competition, Technology and Big Data, Competition Policy 2018: The relationship between antitrust, innovation and investment. Chatham House, The Royal Institute of International Affairs, London.
- Chirita, Anca D. (2018), Data-Driven Mergers under EU Competition Law, 13th edition of the Academic Society of Competition Law Conference on the 'Effects of Digitalization, Globalization, and Nationalism on Competition Law. New York University School of Law, USA.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2017), Data-Driven Mergers under US Anti-Trust and EU Competition Law, Society of Legal Scholars Annual Seminar 2017 The Future of Commercial Law: Ways Forward for Harmonisation. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2017), The Shape of UK Competition Law post Brexit: an Inquiry into the History and Evolution of British Competition Laws and Institutions, Brexit Lecture Series. Durham Law School.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2017), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, Durham Law School Staff Seminar. Durham, England.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2016), Impact of Economic Efficiency on Employment: A Case Study of Mergers and Acquisitions, 82nd International Atlantic Economic Society Conference. Washington, DC.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2016), Chairing the Panel on 'Competitive Markets, Competitive States: Business, Trade, and Labor in Europe', The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2016), Resilient Neo-Liberalism by Means of Promoting Fierce and Efficiency-Driven Free Market Competition, The 23rd International Conference of Europeanists. Pennsylvania, U.S.A, Philadelphia PA.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2016), The EU Competition Policy's ‘Social' Paradox: Moving Towards ‘Full' Employment with Austerity?, 28th Annual Meeting Conference of the Society for the Advancement of Socio-Economics. Berkeley, University of California, U.S.A.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2015), The Disclosure of Evidence under the Antitrust Damages Directive 2014/104/EU, in Tomljenović, V., Bodiroga-Vukobrat, N., Butorac Malnar, V. & Kunda, I. eds, Europeanization and Globalization, 3 The 4th Petar Šarčević international scientific conference: EU Competition and State Aid Rules: Interaction between Public and Private Enforcement. Rovinj, Croatia, Springer, Berlin.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2021). Written Evidence to the CMA on competition for environmental sustainability. Competition and Markets Authority (UK CMA).
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2018). Written Evidence to HM Treasury's Digital Competition Expert Panel. HM Treasury.
- Chirita, Anca Daniela (2017). Written Evidence to the House of Lords' EU Internal Market Sub-Committee on Brexit: competition inquiry. London, Lords Select Committee.