Skip to main content

Year Abroad

What is the year abroad?

The year abroad involves spending a year studying, or potentially working, in Europe or further afield.  Our year abroad option takes place between the second and third year, extending your degree to four years.

We move you onto the “with Year Abroad” variant of the degree when you have successfully secured a place.  

What are the options available?

This depends on what you're studying.  If you're taking a language as one of your main subjects you will spend a period of time in a country where the language is spoken.  This might be studying at a university or teaching English in a school or undertaking an internship.  The School of Modern Languages and Cultures adminster these placements and will help you with the process: Modern Languages and Cultures year abroad.

Students not taking a language as a main subject also have the opportunity to apply to study abroad.   The university has established exchanges with many international partner universities in Europe, China, Japan, Australia, North America and South America.  We provide information about these options during your second year.