25 October 2022 - 25 October 2022
4:00PM - 5:30PM
The Lecture Series is free to attend but a fee is applicable to obtain the Certificate of Attendance
The Centre for Sustainable Development Law and Policy at Durham University Law School and the Global Policy Institute are delighted to offer this series of lectures.
Global Environmental Law in Dialogue with the Judiciary: Insights from Courts around the World - Respect for the Environment in Indigenous Cultures: Learnings for Development of Environmental Law
2022 is the year of anniversaries of various significant international declarations and multilateral environmental agreements. These declarations and agreements address environmental issues at the global level and set forth fundamental principles and legally binding obligations of states.
These anniversaries include:
- the Stockholm Declaration on the Human Environment of 1972
- the Rio Declaration on Environment and Development of 1992
- the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change of 1992
- the Convention on Biological Diversity of 1992
- and the Law of the Sea Convention of 1982.
The aim of the series is to:
- explore issues that are addressed in these declarations and agreements
- understand the developments that have taken place since these instruments were adopted
- and to examine the role they have played in judicial decision-making around the world.
In a series of lectures, judges from around the world offer insights into the normative framework of Global Environmental Law from a variety of perspectives and jurisdictions.
This lecture series has been developed by Justice Brian Preston (Visiting Professor) and Professor Petra Minnerop (Professor of International Law).
Some lectures will be hybrid and others will be online only. In person events will be followed by a drinks reception.
Early registration is recommended. Please refer to our terms and conditions for further details.
For academic enquiries, please contact: Professor Petra Minnerop at Petra.Minnerop@durham.ac.uk
For administrative enquiries, please contact: Jessica Banks at email@example.com
Registration for the Lecture Series
Students who wish to attend the Lecture Series free of charge please register here.
Students and Non-Students who would like to obtain the Durham Global Environmental Law Certificate of Attendance on completion of the course please register here.
Students - £150
Non-Students - £300
If you would like to obtain the Durham Global Environmental Law Certificate of Attendance on completion of the course please register here.
Students - £150
Non-students - £300