Skip to main content

I am a colleague who is impacted by the crisis in Ukraine. Where can I get support? 

Many of our University staff may be impacted by the crisis in Ukraine. You may yourself be from Ukraine or Russia, have friends or family from or living in either country, or have friends or family who have had to leave their homeland because of recent events. 

If you have any concerns or you have been impacted, please let your line manager or another senior colleague in your department know. This will allow them to ensure you get any relevant support. 

You can access our Employee Assistance Programme 24/7 and they can provide you with expert advice and counselling.  Support is also available from the University’s Multi-Faith Chaplaincy. 

I would like to travel to Ukraine, Russia or Belarus. Can I do so? 

The University Executive Committee (UEC) has taken the decision to prohibit travel on University business to Belarus, Russia and Ukraine until further notice. We continue to monitor the situation but, as it is unlikely that this will change in the foreseeable future, we are now working through the implications for placements and activities planned for the rest of this and next academic year. Further details will be made available as they are known. 

If colleagues wish to travel for personal reasons, we would ask that they carefully consider any travel to Ukraine, Russia or Belarus at the present time. You should take into account travel advice from the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO), noting that current advice is not to travel. If you do choose to travel, you must ensure you are aware of risks and put in place all relevant precautions. You must consider that you may find it very difficult to both travel to and to leave Ukraine, Russia or Belarus at the present time. You should inform your line manager if you are planning to travel to Ukraine, Russia or Belarus.    

We would remind colleagues that you are not entitled to undertake your duties from abroad unless you have previously agreed a business case for doing so. Working from another country can have implications on your tax, insurance and pension. Should you not be able to return to the UK to undertake your duties, you may not be allowed to continue to work. 

Are there any other travel restrictions to other countries due to events in Ukraine? 

You should take into account travel advice from the Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office (FCDO). It is likely that travel advice may change over time.  Colleagues should remain vigilant and mindful of travel advice for countries which border Russia and Ukraine, noting that this may be subject to rapid change.

Is there any impact on my work visa? 

We understand that there are no restrictions on work visas or plans to make any changes.  The HR UKVI team would contact relevant colleagues, should the need arise. 

I want to get involved in helping raise money or collecting goods for people in Ukraine. How do I do this? 

The University has information on how colleagues can get involved in helping or raise awareness of any initiatives they are involved with.   

If you do want to support the humanitarian effort, we have been advised that the best way to do this is to donate via the Disasters Emergency Committee. 

How does the suspension of research collaborations with Russia affect my research? 

All bilateral collaborations with organisations in Russia and Belarus are suspended.  No new collaborations may be initiated until further notice.  Where Durham University is part of large international consortia in which Russian institutions are partners, Durham will be guided by the consortium decisions unless there is specific guidance from UK funders or the UK government to take particular action.  We continue to consider the implications for research collaborations between individual academics at Durham and individual academics in Russia and Belarus. 

How can I help academics who are at risk of physical harm or persecution? 

In partnership with the Council for Assisting at Risk Academics (CARA), Durham provides funding for fellowship placements for academics identified through CARA as being at risk of physical harm or persecution.  

Our CARA placements are for two years and include academic mentorship, pastoral support, career guidance and a small stipend, enough to allow a Fellow to come to Durham with their family for this two-year period. Travel and visas, initial accommodation, language support and acclimatisation (including introductions to the local schooling system for children) are provided in partnership with CARA. 

The first step is for the academic to reach out to CARA (  

Each of our Fellows is supported by an academic mentor. If you are interested in mentoring a future CARA fellow, please get in touch with Jemima in the International Office 


I would like to offer a home to a Ukrainian refugee. How do I do this? 

The UK Government's Homes for Ukraine scheme is ongoing. The scheme offers a route to those wishing to come to the UK who have someone here willing to provide them with a home.  

It enables individuals, charities, community groups and businesses to volunteer accommodation and provide a route to safety for Ukrainians, and their immediate family members, forced to escape their homeland. Sponsors should provide accommodation for as long as they are able, but the Government has a minimum expectation of six months. 

Find out more about the Homes for Ukraine scheme. You can also register your interest in participating in the scheme through organisations such as the Global Sanctuary Foundation.