The student presentations for DEI's 3 Minute Thesis competition 2021 are now available to view on our Youtube channel including the winning entry by Masters student Georgina Hatch for her presentation on 'Virtual Power Plants and their role in avoiding an energy crisis'.
DEIs yearly 3 Minute Thesis (3MT) competition was won by Masters student Georgina Hatch for her presentation on Virtual Power Plants and their role in avoiding an energy crisis. Her presentation used case studies in the U.S. such as the recent power cuts in Texas as well as the hydropower droughts in Zambia.
Georgina is a student on our MSc Sustainability, Energy and Development based in the Anthropology department and is a holder of the Ørsted Masters bursary.
“It has been a pleasure to be part of 3MT competition, to tell people about the work I’ve been doing for my dissertation which I’m so excited about and to hear about such interesting energy projects other students are working on at the moment. Winning has given me a huge confidence boost about my ability to present and I’m looking forward to my next opportunity to do so.”
The calibre of all the submissions was extremely high and the judges had a very tough decision to make. Other submission included:
- Durham Masters student Sobin Sabu Thankachan speaking about ‘How socio-technical perspective can help make rural clean energy projects a success’ with a case study of a solar project in Kerala, India;
- Engineering PhD student Aiden Duffy on ‘Aerodynamic Performance of Offshore Wind Turbines with Leading Edge Erosion’;
- Durham Energy CDT and Geography PhD student Michelle Uriarte on ‘Waste Management in Mexico City’;
- Supattra Maneein from the School of Science, University of Greenwich on ‘Anaerobic Digestion of Seaweed: a Source of Renewable Energy?’; and
- Chris Challen, Department of Engineering & Design, University of Sussex on ‘Curtailing cascading failures in electrical power networks using epidemic control analysis’.
You can view videos of all the 3 Minute Thesis presentations on the DEI YouTube channel.