Skip to main content

Student Visa Requirements

A globe in a girl's hand

To successfully apply for a Student visa, you may need to provide evidence with your application to show how you met the conditions of your offer and that you can meet any financial requirements. 


Differentiation arrangements for ‘low risk’ nationals 

You don’t need to provide evidence to show how you met the conditions of your offer (English language or entry qualifications), or that you meet the financial requirements if: 

  • You hold a passport that shows you are registered as a British National (Overseas); or which was issued by the competent authorities of Hong Kong SAR, Macau SAR or Taiwan (which includes the number of the identification card issued by the competent authority in Taiwan); or 
  • You hold a passport from any of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Bahrain, Barbados, Belgium, Botswana, Brazil, Brunei, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Canada, Chile, China, Croatia, Republic of Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, The Dominican Republic, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Kazakhstan, Kuwait, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malaysia, Malta, Mauritius, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Oman, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Qatar, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Thailand, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, United States of America.  

(Taken from the Student Immigration Rules: Appendix Student)

Please note: Even if evidence is not required, you must still meet all requirements, including having the required amount of money in your account. You could be asked for evidence of this later. 

Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) 

You’ll be asked to enter your unique CAS reference number during your application but you don’t need to provide the CAS as a supporting document 

Use the information on the CAS statement to answer questions in the application. Course title, start and end dates should be given exactly as stated on your CAS. 

Find out more about CAS

English language 

Your CAS will state the English Language evidence you used to obtain your offer from Durham. 

Durham University is a ‘Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance’ and because of this, you’re not required to provide English language evidence with your visa application.

Student Visa : Knowledge of English

Qualifications used to obtain offer 

Your CAS will list the qualification you used to obtain your offer from Durham. 

Durham University is a ‘Higher Education Provider with a track record of compliance’ and because of this, you’re not required to provide evidence of qualifications with your visa application. 

Student Visa : Documents you'll need to apply 

Translations of documents not in English 

If any of your documents are not in English, they must be translated and fully certified by a professional translator or translation company that can be verified by the Home Office. 

Translations must include all of the following: 

  • confirmation that it is an accurate translation of the document 
  • the date of translation 
  • the full name and signature of the translator or an official from the translation company 
  • the translator or translation company’s contact details 

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) clearance (if required) 

Your CAS will tell you if you need to have permission from the Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS), though it usually applies to postgraduate students studying certain Science, Engineering or Technology subjects. 

ATAS applications require a CAH code which can be found in this spreadsheet: ATAS Programme codes  

Apply online as soon as possible and allow at least 6 weeks for them to email your certificate to you. 

Once received, you should provide the certificate with any other supporting evidence required. 

Please note: ATAS have advised that you may have trouble receiving your certificate if you use a, or email address. We advise that you use a different email address when you apply. 

Academic Technology Approval Scheme (ATAS) 

Medical screening for Tuberculosis (TB) (if required/applications outside UK only) 

If you’re applying from one of the countries listed as having a high incidence of TB, you may be required to provide a valid medical certificate as part of your visa application. 

Your application will be refused if you are required to have a test, but you refuse or fail the test. 

If you have recently studied in the UK and returned home to apply for a new visa, you’re not required to provide a new medical certificate if you will return to the UK within 6 months. 

Tuberculosis tests for visa applicants 

When you arrive Tuberculosis (TB) screening

Immigration Health Surcharge (IHS) 

If you apply for a Student visa that will be more than six months long, you’ll be required to pay an Immigration Healthcare Surcharge (IHS) of £776 for every year of your permission to stay in the UK (pro rata). The IHS is paid online during your visa application. 

Paying the IHS is compulsory and entitles you to use the UK National Health Service (NHS) without additional charge (on the same basis as anyone ordinarily resident in the UK) although some services may still require payment. 

Paying for the same period twice  

If you apply in the UK and for some reason have pay the IHS for the same period twice, you should be refunded automatically. 

However, refunds will not be issued if you apply for a new visa outside the UK (permission to enter) and you:   

  • Don’t use your visa to travel to the UK 
  • Defer your offer  
  • Suspend or withdraw from your programme after enrolment  

If you still feel you’re entitled to a refund for any other reason and this doesn’t happen automatically, please contact the Student Immigration Service with details of the payments made and we’ll follow it up for you. 

 Pay for UK healthcare as part of your immigration application 


Durham University makes every effort to ensure that the information published on this page is accurate. However, the University cannot guarantee the information may not be altered owing to circumstances beyond the University’s reasonable control. Such circumstances include (but are not limited to) change in Government policy, or change of law. Any changes will be incorporated into the University’s website as early as possible.