Skip to main content

Care-experienced Students

At Durham we have a range of support available for all students and as a care leaver, you are no different. We do however, understand that you may have concerns, questions or things happening in your life that other students may not have and want to ensure that you feel supported during your journey at Durham. We are always here if you would like support, whether you are a prospective student, a fresher or a finalist so please get in touch if there is anything that we can do. 

The University's main contact for supporting care leavers is Boawe Rankin-Carr.

Boawe can provide information and advice regarding the range of support services on offer to students at Durham. Whether you are a prospective or current student please contact Boawe and if they cannot answer your query, you will be directed to the most relevant person. Boawe can be contacted at


A student holding a sign 

How can I let you know that I am a care leaver?

  1. Make sure that you tick the box on your UCAS form that asks if you are a care leaver. That way, we will know before you arrive and can arrange for you to receive relevant information before you begin your degree.

  2. Email us. You can also let us know that you are a care leaver by emailing Boawe Rankin-Carr, who will be happy to provide you with further information should you request it. Boawe can be contacted at:

Student working on a laptop