Skip to main content

Academic Appeals and Academic Misconduct

Outside of the Palatine Centre

The Curriculum, Learning and Assessment Centre administers University-level appeals, and institutional disciplinary processes resulting from academic misconduct (e.g. plagiarism, examination irregularities). For further information, contact Student Appeals.

The Student Conduct Office administers University-level complaints, and institutional disciplinary processes resulting from non-academic and behavioural misconduct, including allegations of sexual misconduct and violence. For further information please see the Student Conduct Office, or contact Student Cases.

Purple Divider


An academic appeal is a request for a formal review of an academic decision of the University. Relevant information regarding the appeals process is provided below.

University Faculty Appeals Proforma

University Senate Academic Appeals Committee Proforma

Access Requests - information on requesting access to personal information held by the University.

Purple Divider


Faculty Appeals Proforma

Faculty Appeals Proforma

Academic Misconduct

Details regarding Academic Misconduct can be found in the Learning and Teaching Handbook.

Purple Divider

Code of Practice on Student Behaviour in Appeals and Complaints Matters

We are committed to dealing with complainants fairly and impartially and to providing a high quality service when investigating appeals and complaints. However we do not expect Durham University staff to tolerate unacceptable behaviour. Therefore this Code of practice sets out the University’s approach to the relatively few complainants or appellants whose actions or behaviour we consider to be unacceptable.

Consequently, this code of practice should be read in conjunction with the University’s General Regulation VII Academic Appeals and the University’s Complaints Procedure for Students.

The Full Code of Practice.

Purple Divider

Admissions Complaints

Durham University aims to provide a high standard and quality of service for applicants and to deliver an admissions process that is consistent, fair and professional, but recognises that occasionally things may go wrong. As part of its commitment to enhancing the applicant experience, we have established a procedure to deal with complaints from applicants in a fair and transparent manner.

Purple Divider

Sources of Help

The University encourages all students to seek advice and guidance prior to or while involved in University procedures. It may not always be appropriate for some staff to provide advice and guidance if they are involved in those procedures. Members of staff are not normally able to advocate for students engaged in formal processes and should refer students to the Students’ Union for advocacy support. Staff can help to make sure you understand and follow the procedures as well as the timelines for initiating them.

You can seek assistance from the following sources:

The Durham Student's Union (SU) Advice Service

The SU is independent of the University and offers procedural advice and advocacy services (including representation and/or support) to students on a range of matters.

To speak to an adviser, please complete the online enquiry form using the 'Get in Touch' button.

College and Societies

Student Support Officers from your Colleges or society can offer assistance to help you to understand University procedures. You may wish to let your College or Society know you intend to submit an appeal or complaint to the University as they may hold important information you need. You may also wish to seek advice in dealing with an allegation of misconduct or a breach of University regulations.

Academic Departments

For some procedures, members of your academic department (e.g. academic advisor, level tutor) may be able to provide assistance in relation to academic matters or processes.

Find out more contact information for your academic department.

Purple Divider

Office of the Independent Adjudicator

The Office of the Independent Adjudicator (OIA) is an independent body established by law to investigate student complaints. If the University is unable to resolve your complaint or appeal and you are a current or very recent student of the University, you might be able to appeal to the OIA but you must contact them within 12 months of completing the University's internal complaints procedure. You can obtain details of the scheme either directly via the Office of the Independent Adjudicator, via the DSU Advice Centre or by telephoning the Office of the Academic Registrar +44 (0)191 334 6136.