Skip to main content

Visas and Immigration (UKVI)

From 1st January 2021, the UK implemented a new points-based immigration system that treats EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA citizens equally, prioritising individuals' skills and talent over where a person comes from.

If you do not already live in the UK or have rights under the Withdrawal Agreement, you, as an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen, will need to meet specific requirements in order to study or work in the UK. You will also need to pass relevant checks, including UK criminality checks.

EU citizens already living in the UK

If you're an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen living in the UK by 31 December 2020, you and your family may have applied to the EU Settlement Scheme to continue living in the UK after 30 June 2021. If you have obtained pre-settled or settled status you will not be required to apply for a visa under the new points-based immigration system.

Use the links below to help you find the most appropriate information for you.

Apply to work in the UK

Information if you are not automatically entitled to live and work in the UK, including temporary workers and visitors to the university.

  • More about applying to work in the UK

Eligibility to work in the UK

Information regarding initial and annual eligibility checks including the documents that are accepted for eligibility checks.

  • More about eligibility to work in the UK
  • Work eligibility documents

Your responsibilities

Guidance for new staff detailing their responsibilities as a Visa Holder.

  • Your responsibilities

Fees and costs to consider

Costs associated with visas

  • Fees and costs to consider
  • Visa Reimbursement Scheme

English language requirements guidance

To be granted a Skilled Worker Visa, you must meet the English language requirement.

  • English language requirements guidance

Disability Confident Employer Logo, Good Work Pledge, Advanced Logo, Race Equality Charter Logo, Athena Swan Bronze Award, EUC Gender Charter Logo,  Armed Forces Covenant, RLW Accreditation