Library matters are discussed, and policy is formulated and ratified, via various committees.
University Library and Collections Committee
The University Library and Collections Committee draws its membership across senior members of the university and includes representation from Durham Students’ Union.
It meets at least quarterly and has delegated authority from the University Executive Council (UEC) to provide direct oversight of Durham University (University) libraries and collections which include Oriental Museum, Art Collection, Museum of Archaeology, Durham Castle Museum, Archives and Special Collections, and the Institutional Archive.
Executive Dean (Arts & Humanities)
- Education Committee Chair/Vice-Provost (Education)
- Research Committee Chair/Vice-Provost (Research)
- Wider Student Experience Chair/Pro-Vice-Chancellor (Colleges and Student Experience)
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor Global
- Pro-Vice-Chancellor Equality, Diversity and Inclusion
- Director of Estates and Facilities
- Chief Information Officer
- Chair of the Acquisitions and Disposal Panel
- Colleges & Student Experience Division Head of Business Management
- Director of University Library and Collections
- Head of Information Governance & University Data Protection Officer
- Durham Students' Union Undergraduate Academic Officer
- Durham Students' Union Postgraduate Academic Officer
University Secretary's Office
Library Users’ Committee
The Library Users' Committee meets once a term. It runs the same meeting twice each term, to enable maximum attendance. It provides a strong point of communication between Faculty Library representatives and ULC, and opportunities to seek opinions and feedback from the Library representatives.
- Joint chair: ULC Head of Education and ULC Head of Customer Services
- Library representatives from each faculty, department or school
- Academic Affairs Officer of DSU
- UG and PG DSU Officers
- ULC Faculty Librarians
- Members of the Library staff and other members of the University invited as appropriate to speak to the business of the meeting
- CIS Representative
It reports into University Library and Collections Committee.
There is more information about the committee structure of the University as a whole on the web page for University Committees.