IT and Equipment
PCs, Laptops and Docking Stations
At the Bill Bryson Library, there are PCs available for use on all floors. Some are available to pre-book through our Space Bookings system.
Laptops can be borrowed and used within the Library via the self-service laptop safe on Level 2. Laptops are issued without power packs and cannot be renewed online, but may be swapped for another if there are other laptops still available in the safe.
The following software is currently available on laptops:
- Microsoft Office
- Adobe Reader X
- Windows 7 environment with J: drive and university printing access
Laptops are available on a first-come, first-served basis.
We also have laptop docking stations available in our computer room on Level 3, allowing you to connect your laptop to an external display, keyboard and mouse. These are also bookable through our Space Bookings system.
MFDs, printing, photocopying
There are MFDs (multi-function devices) available across the Bill Bryson Library, on which you can print, (from Library PCs or from your own device) scan and photocopy.
We also have two large-scale printers, suitable for printing up to A0 in size.
Full information about how to print can be found on the My Digital Durham SharePoint site, including how to print from your own device using EveryonePrint.
Disability support study rooms
All DS study rooms are equipped with wireless technology, networked PCs with 22” screen, height adjustable desks, adaptable chairs, adjustable footrests, adaptable lighting and blinds. Details of the additional equipment in each room are provided below. Hand-held magnifiers are available for loan at the Help and Information Desk.
- DS Room 1: kneeling stool, document holder.
- DS Room 2: (power-assisted door): document holder, anglepoise lamp, PC has the following assistive technology installed:
- Text Help Read and Write
- JAWS for Windows
- Mind View
- Dragon Naturally Speaking. (Please contact the IT Service Desk to set up access with Dragon. You will need to provide your own headset.)
- DS Room 3: (power-assisted door): kneeling stool, document holder, anglepoise lamp
- DS Room 4: kneeling stool, document holder, anglepoise lamp.
For more information about Disability Support, see our accessibility guide.
We have a microform reader on Level 1, on which you can read micfofiche, microfilm and microform. Please ask a member of staff on the Help and Information Desk if you need assistance.
For information on IT and equipment available at ISC Library, please visit our dedicated guide.