Middle Common Room
University College Middle Common Room (“Castle MCR”) is a thriving, diverse and supportive postgraduate community based in the heart of Durham Castle. Our common room has centuries of tradition behind it, and is one of the largest and most active postgraduate communities in University. Our inclusive and friendly community can be experienced as you step into the beautiful and historic Maurice Tucker Room and discover its facilities, exclusively used by Members.
Membership of our MCR will unlock a whole range of events and opportunities which will enrich your Durham experience such as:
- Gowned formal dinners in the Castle’s Great Hall – by far the most traditional yet vibrant in the whole university
- Social events such as casino nights, port & cheese evenings, art & crafts, and many more
- Discounts to trips & tours across the North East of England
- Academic events including the regular Sunday Seminars which all are welcome to deliver or simply attend, and the renowned annual Castle Conference
- Welfare support and supplies from our dedicated MCR welfare committee
- Priority access to the Castle Charity Ball, one of the year’s largest events, and eligibility to attend our famous Castle June Ball
- A vote in MCR elections and eligibility to run for Executive and Non-Executive officer positions, allowing you to gain excellent CV experience
- Access to the MCR Facebook group to hear the latest from the common room and network with other MCR Members
There is no better way to meet so many masters and PhD students than by joining our common room. We are very proud as MCR members to call Durham Castle our home and hope you make this fantastic community an integral part of your collegiate University experience.